Kids are very delicate. The weather has changed, so that some disease can attack them. And it is also a time for their holidays, they want to break the strong monotony of the class activities at this time. But, there is a risk of heat related disease due to high temperature and humidity. However, it doesn’t matter to the kids. And they are most excited to spend more and more time playing out of the house ignoring health and safety. So, today we will give you some indoor and outdoor summer safety tips for your kids or school students or elementary students, through which you can effectively protect the stars of your eyes from the summer heat related problems.
Take Care of Health In Summer.
A variety of diseases spread during summer season. If you find out any of the following symptoms of heat-related disease among your kids, contact your doctor immediately.(1)
Symptoms of Heat Stroke.
- High body temperature (103°F or more).
- Hot, red and dry skin.
- Confusion or annoyance.
- Redness of the skin.
- Blisters on the skin.
Top 20 Indoor and Outdoor Summer Safety Tips For Kids or Elementary Students.
- Adequate Water Intake.
- Fresh Juice And Lemonade.
- Light-Colored Fabrics.
- Cover Skin with Sunscreen.
- Avoid Junk Food.
- Protection from Mosquitoes.
- Stay Indoor.
- Maintain Proper Hygiene.
- Talcum Powder.
- Bathe Daily.
- Change Diaper.
- Summer Massage.
- Room Temperature For Children.
- Use of Sunglasses.
- Prevention of Rashes.
- Do Not Leave The Kids In The Car.
- If The Children Sweat.
- Ice Cream And Cold Drinks.
- Hair Cut For Summer.
- Children’s Bed In Summer.
Adequate Water Intake.
When the temperature rises, you should make sure that your kids consumes enough water. It is very important for them to drink enough water throughout the day, especially when they are playing at the outside. Water helps in extrusion of toxins from the body and provides liquidity for blood flow.
Kids above six months of age need to be taken special care to protect the body from dehydration. This is because, the water needs of young children are different from adults.
There are many reasons for this, such as the percentage of water in children’s body and its extrusion. At the same time, young children are not able to express their thirst.
Keeping all these things in mind, the children should be given fluids.(2) Consult a doctor on how much water or fluids children need during the day depending on their age and health. So, it is consider as one of the top summer safety tips for the kids.
|Read Now: 12 Super Detoxifying Food With Meal Plan|
Fresh Juice And Lemonade.
Excessive sweating during summer leads to water scarcity in the body. Give more liquid diet to kids in summer season besides water. For this, you can give them fresh fruit juice, coconut water and buttermilk etc. along with little less solid food.
Fill their water bottle with lemonade instead of plain water. It will also make them feel good and lemon keeps the body hydrated for a long time.
It is important to keep the body cool and airy during summer. So, It is always right for children to wear cotton and loose clothes during the summer season. Cotton fabrics allow the temperature within the body to go out and keep the body temperature normal.
Cotton fabrics can protect the child from having overheat. It also helps in protecting the kids from skin disease.(3)
It is better to wear half-sleeved or unsleeved inside the house. Wear light clothes to protect from mosquitoes and sunlight outside the house.
Also, wear light coloured clothes during summer, as dark colours absorb more temperature, causing more heat.(4)
Cover Skin with Sunscreen.
Don’t forget to apply good sunscreen with SPF before allowing your kids to go out in the sun to play. Sunscreen will protect your child from harmful sun rays.
Also, wear them a hat, as it can protect them from direct sunlight. If you use a hat for your kids, make sure it fits in a wide rim and comfortable way.
While choosing a hat, make sure that the hat should be made of cloth. Caps made of plastic materials inhibit blood circulation in the head. If the child is a little older and travels alone, give them a small umbrella that they can use while walking in the sun. It is also one of the perfect summer precautions for school students.
Avoid Junk Food.
Pay special attention while packing tiffin. Never give stale or leftover stale food. Stale food gets spoiled quickly due to high temperature during summer season.
Keep light things in tiffin such as sandwiches, pasta, vegetables, rotis, paratha, khichdi and fruits etc.
Do not give too many spicy and heavy things like chickpeas, beans, refine flour items, noodles, burgers etc. during this season. These foods are hard to digest.
Children have weak digestive capacity than adults, so they may fall prey to food poisoning early in the summer season.
Also make sure that your child does not eat too much spicy junk food like pizza, pasta and burger during summer.
Spicy diet increases body heat. Instead, you should give them fresh fruits like watermelon, melon and kiwi. All these fresh fruits are protect them from dehydration due to high amounts of water and antioxidants.
Protection From Mosquitoes.
It is true that many children do not like insect preventive creams or lotions, but it is very important to apply it to protect from the mosquito bite before going out to play. Because, it can cause infection. In addition, kids should wear full-sleeved cotton clothes to protect from the mosquitoes bites.
According to a research, anti-mosquito lotions made from chemicals called citriodiol (PMD), DEET, IRR 35 can be used for children.(5)
The best summer safety tips for your kids is prevent them from going out during the afternoon, i.e., from 12 to 4 p.m. During this period, they should be stay at home and involved in the activities inside the house. Evening is the best time to play out of the house.
Walking or playing in the scorching heat can spoil the health of your kids. Do not allow them to leave the house or on the terrace between 12 noon and 4 pm. During this time, advise them to stay indoors.
If children are off, ask them to play indoor games, read books, complete school homework and complete holiday assignments and projects in the afternoon. Help children in these tasks. So, it is also consider as one of the summer safety tips for babies.
Maintain Proper Hygiene.
Among all, it is also one of the top summer safety tips for the kids, where guardian should to take special care of cleanliness while preparing food. The quality of a kids homemade diet depends on how cleanly the food is prepared.(6)
Do not give street food sold in the open outside, as cleanliness is not taken care of while preparing them.(7) Check the quality of food yourself while giving food to the kids, as foods may spoil quickly in summer.(8)
Use tiffin and bottles made of steel, because using plastic utensils has their own different disadvantages.(9) Whatever the weather, certain things should always be kept in mind while feeding your kids, such as (10):
- Food should be rich in vitamins and other nutrients.
- Give children as much food as they are hungry, that is, do not force them.
- Consult a doctor to ensure about health supplements along with food.
- Food must consists vitamins, protein, minerals and healthy fat in the right quantity and mix them well with the meals.
- More sweet food can be harmful for the teeth. Give more summer fruits such as mango and watermelon.
Talcum powders specially prepared for children during summer can be very helpful. They not only protect against the rubbing of clothes but can also effective for the skin.
Consult a pediatrician before buying talcum powder for your kids. Cosmetic talcum powders can be made up of harmful chemicals can damage children’s skin.
The use of talcum powder may be beneficial for children, so that the choice of herbal and antibacterial products can be better.
Take special care while applying powder to children. Children can pull the particles of talcum powder inside with breathing, causing them harm.(11)
It is also important to bathe daily to get rid of the heat and keeping in mind the cleanliness. Scientific research also says that the use of water and soap can remove bacteria as well as dirt like sweat and dust. Bathing children daily can also reduce the risk of skin disease.(12)
If you bathe your children more than once in terms of cooling them, do not use soap frequently. Using more soap can be harmful to children’s delicate skin.
If you are using diapers for children, do not leave it wet for long. Rashes may occur in and around children’s genitals during summer.(13)
In this case, wear cotton nappy to the children for some time and use the antiseptic cream prescribed by the doctor. Also, let the baby stay without diapers and nappy at least once a day. This will maintain natural moisture on the skin of the baby.
Bathe the children thoroughly after massaging them during summer. It is important to clean the oil completely from the skin of children. Oil on the skin can cause dirt by sticking dust to it.
Room Temperature For Children.
Children need light warmth while sleeping, but too much heat is not good for children. If you use a fan for the child, make sure that the air is not coming directly on them. If there is AC in the room, keep the room temperature normal. Room temperature can be kept stable around 18 to 27 degrees Celsius.(14)
|Read Now: 12 Health Benefits of Purple Cabbage|
Sunglasses are also commonly used for children above 3 years of age. If you also use sunglasses for your child, buy glasses from a reliable and branded shop.
Cheap coloured glasses available at the toy shop are not effective to protect the eyes from the sun.(15)
Prevention of Rashes.
Small grains often appear on children’s skin during summer. These are commonly called Rashes. This kind of problem arises due to excessive sweating.
It can cause irritation and itching, causing discomfort to children. Cotton clothes should be used to get relief from Rashes.
Some home remedies can be taken such as soft massage of aloe-vera gel, baking soda, sandalwood powder or multani clay paste.
Boil neem leaves in water and bath with its water can also relieve the gums. If the situation is serious, it is important to consult with the doctor, as it may cause inconvenience to the child.(16),(17)
Do Not Leave The Kids In The Car.
Never leave the kids in the car, whether it is winter or summer. Even running an air conditioner can be harmful to children. Leaving the kids in a closed car for a short time can put them at high risk of heatstroke, dehydration or death. This should be taken care of especially in the summer.(18)
If The Children Sweat.
If the child is sweating, do not try to bring them into a cold environment immediately. Let the body temperature return to normal. Use a soft towel or handkerchief to wipe the sweat.
Ice Cream And Cold Drinks.
Do not use ice cream and cold drinks to cool down. It contain high amounts of sugar, which can damage teeth as well as cause many diseases. Experts believe that children under the age of 12 should be kept away from such substances.(19)
If you want to give cold fluids to children, make them at home. On the other hand, breast milk is enough for children under six months of age. Do not give them extra fluids.(20)
Hair Cut For Summer.
Keeping the hair short can also be an effective remedy to protect them from heat. If for some reason the hair cannot be smaller, it may be right to tie them.
Children’s Bed In Summer.
Keep children’s beds light in summer. Do not use too many hot mattresses. Lay a cotton sheet on it. Wash the bed from time to time.
FAQ. (Indoor and Outdoor Summer Safety Tips For Kids or Elementary Students)
1. Does v7 toning light cream help to protect from the Sun?
Yes, such cream not only tones your skin, but also brightens it. It contain Hyaluronic acid, which holds moisture and keep the skin smooth and glowing. However, it also minimize the wrinkles and protects against the harmful UVA and UVB rays.
2. Which is the best chemical free daily use face cream that protect skin from sun?
It is always recommended to use chemical free products for your sensitive skin which can protect your skin from harmful sun rays and acne. Here are some top recommendations;
- Beauty counter Dew Skin Moisturizing Coverage.
- Lotus Herbals Safe Sun 3-in-1 Matte-Look Daily Sun Block Pa+++ SPF- 40.
- Vive Sana Daily Protezione SPF 30.
- Naturopathica Daily UV Defense Cream SPF 50.
- KYPRIS Pot of Shade Heliotropic.
- The Organic Pharmacy Cellular Protection Sun Cream SPF 30.
- La Roche-Posay Anthelios Clear Skin Dry Touch Sunscreen SPF 60.
- No7 Protect & Perfect Intense Advanced Day Cream SPF 30.
- Beauty counter Counter sun Mineral Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30.
- Elta MD UV Clear Broad-Spectrum SPF 46.
- Tizo 2 Non-Tinted Facial Mineral Sunscreen SPF 40.
In this article, you learn how small things can be taken care of to protect young children from the side effects of heat. All the above summer safety tips for kids can help your children to stay healthy during summer season.
Give your children a safe environment keeping these things in mind during the summer. If you feel that your kids are feeling some discomfort or any kind of health issues contact your doctor as soon as possible.
Freaktofit has strict sourcing guidelines and relies on peer-reviewed studies, educational research institutes, and medical organizations. We avoid using tertiary references. You can learn more about how we ensure our content is accurate and up-to-date by reading our editorial policy.
- Warning Signs and Symptoms of Heat-Related Illness : https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/extremeheat/warning.html#text
- Water and Electrolytes : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK234935/
- Skin care for your baby : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2528704/
- European Cloth and “Tropical” Skin : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3400508/
- Prevention with repellent in children : https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19836673/
- Traditional foods vs. manufactured baby foods : https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17664896/
- Prevention and Self-Treatment of Traveler’s Diarrhea : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1539099/
- Environmental temperatures and the incidence of food poisoning in England and Wales : https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11411411/
- Public health impact of plastics: An overview : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3299092/
- The Feeding Infants and Toddlers Study (FITS) 2016: Moving Forward : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6126635/
- Massive aspiration of talcum powder by an infant : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1818312/pdf/canmedaj01428-0060.pdf
- Effect of bathing on atopic dermatitis during the summer season : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3486972/
- Diaper rash : https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/000964.htm
- SLEEP FOR MY BABY : https://www.health.gov.bc.ca/library/publications/year/2017/safer-sleep-for-my-baby.pdf
- Protection from Ultraviolet Radiation during Childhood: The Parental Perspective in Bavaria : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5086750/
- Miliaria : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK537176/
- Miliaria: An Update : https://www.rjpbcs.com/pdf/2017_8(4)/%5B162%5D.pdf
- Hot weather and child safety : https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/healthyliving/hot-weather-and-child-safety
- The effectiveness of the food and beverage industry’s self-established uniform nutrition criteria at improving the healthfulness of food advertising viewed by Canadian children on television : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6013888/
- Diarrhoea Control : https://nhm.gov.in/images/pdf/IDCF/Important_Document/IDCF_Tool_Kit.pdft