Before digging into the health benefits of fish oil, let’s take an overview regarding Fish Oil.
What is Fish Oil?
Fish oil is often known as omega 3 fatty acids. It is usually extract from the tissues of fishes like herring, tuna, anchovies and mackerel. Apart from this it also produce from the cod liver oil. We can easily get fish oil either from fish or through supplements.
Types of Acids Found in Omega-3 or Fish Oil.
From Where You Can Get Omega-3 Fatty Acids?
Surprisingly, our body do not produce or generate omega-3 fatty acids. Therefore, the only means to get omega-3 fatty acids is through dietary sources. The best sources are fishes, phytoplankton and animal products. The fishes which are rich in omega 3 fatty acids are salmon, mackerel, tuna, herring, whale blubber, seal blubber etc.
Omega-3 fatty acids are not produce by our body. So, we have to depend upon the dietary sources like salmon, tuna and blubber fishes.
Is Fish Oil Effective?
Off course, we cannot deny the effectiveness of fish oil. It helps in numerous diseases like heart issues, kidney related disease, brain disorder, eye, and stomach related problems and lots more.
Fish oil is effective in numerous diseases like heart issues, brain disorder etc. Apart from this it is beneficial for our overall health.
What are the Health Benefits of fish oil?
Fish oil has earned its reputation as “Brain Food”. It effective for those who are suffering from depression, attention deficient hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), psychosis, bipolar disorder, Alzheimer disease, epilepsy, migraine headache, developmental coordination disorder, post traumatic stress disorder, mental impairment and schizophrenia.(1), (2), (3), (4)
According to several studies, patient those are suffering from hypertriglyceridemia, consumption of fish oil can reduce high triglyceride level in the body, up to 20%-50%. Hence, it is effective for those who are suffering from high triglyceride levels. In comparison with the drugs fish oils are less effective. (5),(6),(7)
Apart from these there are several non-prescribed drug are available in the market which are also effective in dropping triglyceride levels. However, it is recommended to avoid such non prescribed drugs, as those are less effective.
Treat Bipolar Disorder.
As we already know fish oil has gained status as brain food. Therefore, taking fish oil along with the treatment has shown several positive improvements. Such as it reduce depressions and stress level. However, it is not much effective for bipolar disorder patients. (8),(9),(10)
Cachexia or Wasting Syndrome.
Regular consumption of Fish oil is effective for Cancer patients. According to the several research it is proved that fish oil prevent unnecessary weight loss among the cancer patients. As well as it is also effective for depression and enhance the mood. (17),(18),(19),(20),(21)
It is an autoimmune disorder and can be seen among the pregnant women. Miscarriages often occur due to this syndrome. Consumption of fish oil can prevent miscarriage and increase live birth. (22),(23)
According to American Heart Association (AHA) it has been stated that consumption of fish oil in regular basis reduce the risk of heart attacks, stroke and many heart related disorders. AHA recommends at least 2 fish (fatty fish or cold water fish) two times per week. (25), (26),(27),(28),(29)
However, still several researches are going on regarding its effectiveness. So, it’s better to consult with your doctor before try.
Maintains Eye Health.
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder is can visible among the people of every age groups but mostly found in children between the age groups of 9-13 years. Several research proved that fish oil improves mental function, attention and behavior among the children those are suffering from ADHD. (35),(36) , (37)
Another research proved that consumption of fish oil supplement along with primrose oil improves mental function. It also effective regarding behavioral changes among the children of 7-12 years having ADHD. (38), (39)
Improve Mental Disorders.
Consumption of fish oil on regular basis reduces the risk of depression and aggression. It is helpful to cure mental problems and also improve concentration, cognitive function of the brain. Apart from that it enhance your memory power and also beneficial for Alzheimer’s patient. (40),(41),(42),(43),(44)
Fish oil has a DHA property which is extremely beneficial for growth and development related to eyes and brain. DHA is also necessary for skin, retina and brain. It helps in the overall growth and development of the foetus in the mother’s womb.(45),(46),(47)
Skin and Hair.
Omega 3 fatty acids have an anti-aging property. It enhances the collagen production of the body and gives a beautiful youth look. It moisture the cells and hydrated the skin. Regular intake of fish oil prevents acne and give you a clear skin. (48),(49)
However it also maintains hair health. Omega-3 fatty acids present in fish oil cause hair to be dense and strong. It helps to improve hair condition.(51)
Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus.
Due to High triglycerides level in the blood leads several metabolic syndrome in the body such as diabetes and heart disease. Intake of fish oil reduce the triglyceride levels in the blood. Thus, prevents you from diabetes.(52)
Therefore, Fish oil supplements can be beneficial for patients suffering from type-2 diabetes by increasing insulin sensitivity.(53)
High Blood Pressure.
Omega 3 fatty acids consist EPA and DHA. They play an important role in escalating of blood vessels. They smooth the passage and supports blood flow to the arteries and at the same time flow down the blood pressure. (54),(55)
Strong and Healthy Bones.
Fish oil intake keep your bones healthy. This orthopaedic can help to cure osteoporosis i.e. weak bones. Its intake increases the density of your bones and helps to prevent low bone density. (66), (67)
Obesity can be reduced by the regular consumption fish oil. According to a research, 6 grams of daily fish oil can help reduce excess fat from the body. (68)
Fish oil has several health benefits such as it maintains eye health, improve mental disorders as well as beneficial for type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and heart related issues etc.
Dosage recommendations are always vary according to age groups.
As per WHO, the recommended daily intake will be 0.2-0.5gm in a combination of EPA:DHA. On the other hand, the dosage may be increase for the pregnant and nursing mothers as well as the patients those are suffering from heart related issues.(69)
Before purchase make sure that it provides 0.3gm of EPA and DHA in per serving.
1-2 fatty fish are recommended to eat per week. But in case, if you do not eat fish then only you can go for fish oil supplementation.
Here are some excellent list of fish oil which you can check
Side Effects of Fish Oil.
- If you have started eating capsules made from fish oil and then complaining of pain in the groin, you must talk to the doctor about it.
- Stop using it if some red markings or rashes appear on the skin after eating fish oil. Do not consume it without medical suggestion.
- Do not consume these capsules if there is indigestion, diarrhoea or vomiting problems. Don’t eat it at your own discretion.
- The taste of the tongue gets worse several times after eating capsules.
- Capsules made from fish oil are hard to digest. Some people may also experience fever, colds or sore throat after eating it.
- Stop consuming capsules if they are getting gas or belching in the stomach. It can be due to this oil.
Frequently Asked Questions.
1.How much fish oil should you take per day?
According to WHO, recommended daily dosage are 0.2gm to 0.5gm. However, its vary according to your need and age groups. For example, you can increase the consumption if you are pregnant or suffering from other heart related diseases.
2. Does fish oil really works?
Yes, according to many studies, it proved that fish oil is effective for several health issues such as it maintains eye health, Improve mental disorders as well as beneficial for type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and heart related issues etc.
Fish oil contains a good quantity of omega 3 fatty acids. It has a several positive benefits regarding health issues. However, it is also beneficial regarding mental problems.
Consume through balanced diet and sources like fatty fishes twice per week is the superlative way.
Whereas, if anyone who don’t eat fish can choose omega-3 supplementation. But make sure before try, consult with your doctor.
1. B Oelrich, A Dewell, C D Gardner; Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2013 Apr;23(4):350-7. doi: 10.1016/j.numecd.2011.06.003. Epub 2011 Sep 15; Effect of fish oil supplementation on serum triglycerides, LDL cholesterol and LDL subfractions in hypertriglyceridemic adults; U.S; Retrieved from
2. E H Clayton, T L Hanstock, S J Hirneth, C J Kable, M L Garg, P L Hazell;Eur J Clin Nutr. 2009 Aug;63(8):1037-40. doi: 10.1038/ejcn.2008.81. Epub 2009 Jan 21; Reduced mania and depression in juvenile bipolar disorder associated with long-chain omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementation; Retrieved from
3. W. Daniel, W. Howard, F. Edward, and S. Z Arthur; Cardiol Rev. Author manuscript; available in PMC 2011 Nov 15. Published in final edited form as: Cardiol Rev. 2010 Sep-Oct; 18(5): 258–263. doi: 10.1097/CRD.0b013e3181ea0de0; Fish Oil for the Treatment of Cardiovascular Disease; Retrieved from
4. Bénédicte M J Merle 1, Marie-Noëlle Delyfer, Jean-François Korobelnik, Marie-Bénédicte Rougier, Florence Malet, Catherine Féart, Mélanie Le Goff, Evelyne Peuchant, Luc Letenneur, Jean-François Dartigues, Joseph Colin, Pascale Barberger-Gateau, Cécile Delcourt; J Nutr. 2013 Apr;143(4):505-11. doi: 10.3945/jn.112.171033. Epub 2013 Feb 13; High concentrations of plasma n3 fatty acids are associated with decreased risk for late age-related macular degeneration; Retrieved from
5. K. Robert, Mc NamaraaSusan, E.Carlson; Volume 75, Issues 4–5, October–November 2006, Pages 329-349; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plefa.2006.07.010; Role of omega-3 fatty acids in brain development and function: Potential implications for the pathogenesis and prevention of psychopathology; Retrieved from