Do you really know about the advantages, disadvantages and side effects of steroids? Nowadays, beginners are very fond of making bodies and they are fascinating towards body building and they are ready to do anything to achieve that kind of body, no matter what are the side effects or disadvantages.
And after a period of time they realize several negative side effects of steroids. Even many body builders have lost their lives by taking steroids.
Apart from the boys girls are also taking steroids to achieve an attractive body like boys. So without wasting the time let’s see the real things about the steroids.
What are Steroids?
Steroid is a synthetic version of male sex hormone known as “Testosterone”. The real name of steroid is “Anabolic Androgenic Steroid”.
Men and women both are naturally produce testosterone hormone. But like other hormones which are regulate body’s several basic functions, having a low testosterone level can leads several health issues.
Steroid increase your muscle growth and body size. There are many types of steroids are available in the market and it is illegal to buy steroid without doctor’s prescription.
Due to its consumption you may gain one or two pounds of muscle mass within a few weeks, that is why it more popular among the body builders and youths.
Actually, using steroid for body building several harmful side effects. It may give you short term benefits along with long term losses.
Classifications or Types of Steroids.
There are different types of steroids available in the market, such as;
It increase the properties of the body such as thickness of the voice, increase hair growth in entire body, increase body size and increase muscle mass in the body.
What are Steroids Used For?
Steroids are usually made for medical treatments, however due to its muscle growth components bodybuilders are use large number of steroids. We can get steroids in the market in oral or injectable form.
According to the study it is found that oral form are more harmful than the injectable form. Because our liver have to digest that pills or capsules, as it make unnecessary and harmful stress on the liver. As a result it make several side effects on kidney, liver and heart.
Either you are taking oral or injectable form of steroid it is definitely harmful for your health. And you have to pay for this on future.
What are the Expected Benefits or Advantages of Steroid Injections or Pills?
- Decrease pain and increase function of the body organs. Steroid also reduce joint inflammation and improve joint structure and functions.
- Boost stamina.
- Gain weight and size.
- Help in cure during injury.
- Enhance endurance.
- Increase strength, muscle size, fat-free mass.(1)
It has found that a person who regular use of steroids gradually dependents on it. In cases of non-availability of steroids can make a person angry and even self-destructive.
Unexpected or sudden withdrawal from steroids can leads several health issues such as depression, anger, nervous system breakdowns, joint pain and nausea. This is because the body tries to get the steroid.
Therefore, it is always advised to consult a medical professional before using steroids.
Disadvantages and Long Term Effects.
Taking steroids without consultation with the doctor can have danger side effects both men and women, such as;
Side Effects of Steroids in Women.
- More hair growth in the skin and face.
- Voice become deeper.
- Clitoris become bigger.
- Decrease breast size.
- Menstrual irregularities in females.
- Become infertile.
Side Effects in Men.
- Develop male boobs.
- Testicles will start to shrink.
- Become impotent.
- May face painful erection.
- Decrease sperm counts.
- Drops testosterone level in the body.(2)
- Premature death.(3)
Side Effects in both Men and Women.
- Damage the liver, increase the risk of liver cancer, hepatotoxicity as well as liver failure.(4)
- Switch your mood, increase your anger, loose temper, loose physiological level.
- Oily scalp and skin.
- Increase heart rate.(5)
- Increase the risk of Jaundice.
- Become bald.
- Risk of Heart attacks.
- Enlarge your heart.
- Acne in face and back.
- Allergic reactions.
- Internal bleeding.
- Prolong joint pain.
- Weaken bone, tendons and ligaments.
- Risk of high blood pressure are increase.
- Immune system become deteriorate.(6)
- Body will be bloated.
- Increase the risk of diabetes.
Side Effects in Teens.
- Arrested growth among the teens.
- Growth of natural Height are stopped.
How Long Do Steroids Stay in Your System?
It is different according to the types, for example;
Frequently Asked Questions.
1. Are Steroids Illegal?
Yes, without doctor’s prescription for medical condition it’s fully illegal to take, sell or distribute anabolic steroids.
2. How can I get Treatment for Anabolic Steroid Addiction?
As a treatment of anabolic steroid addiction several combination of behavioral therapy and medications are proven to be helpful.
Along with this you should consult with your doctor, as he prescribe you medicines to help treat symptoms of withdrawal. For example, antidepressants (to treat depression) and pain relievers for headaches, muscle and joint pain and other medicines for restore and balance the hormonal system.
3. Can Steroids kill me?
Prolong use of steroids in body building purpose without consulting with the doctor can kill you. Apart from that it also increase the risk of heart disease, liver damage and many more among the adults and teens.
4. Why Doctors Prescribe Steroids?
Doctors usually prescribe anabolic steroids for the treatment of several complicated and specific health issues, like AIDS patients (prevent muscle loss), to treat delayed puberty or loss of testicular function.
Doctors are never prescribe steroids to the sports men or body builders to enhance their athletic performance.
5. Why Steroids Supports Weight Gain?
Generally steroids trigger the body’s electrolyte and water balance. Apart from this it boost metabolism and use stored lipids, amino acids, carbohydrates, protein and glucose. Along with this it retains water in the body.
6. How much Time will Steroid take to Work?
The steroid shows effect within 2 to 7 days and its stable for long time. However, it is usually depends upon the types of steroids.
7. What Happened if I suddenly stops my Steroid Cycle?
While we use steroids, huge amounts of synthetic testosterone go in the body which destroy the production of natural testosterone. If anyone discontinued the steroid cycle suddenly he or she have to face several numbers of complications such as low testosterone related diseases, loss of muscle mass, reduce of weight, sudden change of mood etc.
8. Do I Lose My Gains when I Stop Taking Steroids?
Yes, instantly after stopping anabolic steroids, you will lose approximately 20 percent to 50 percent of muscle mass that you gained during the steroid cycle. Your acne gets removed, your libido became worse. Therefore, it is always recommended to do PCT after the steroid cycle, as it trigger your natural production of testosterone hormone.
9. Are Steroid Effects on Brain?
Steroid can impact the production and supply of certain chemicals in the brain called “Neurotransmitters”. As a result you find sudden changes in mood and behaviour. However, prolong use of anabolic steroid can cause certain anger and aggression.
10. What are the Effects of Short Term use of Anabolic Steroids?
However, with several benefits such as boost strength and enhance performance steroid will show several short term effects, such as, acne, mood swings, fatigue, agitation, sleeping disorder, decreased sperm count and bald etc.
11. Can Anabolic Steroids cause Emotional and Behavioural Effects?
Yes, prolong use of steroid can cause several emotional and behavioral changes. You may be find much anger and many time too much emotions. It’s due to effects of hormone in you central nervous systems.
In spite of this, it is always recommended to build muscle naturally with the help of protein, balanced diet, regular exercise and proper rest. This is the best way to achieve an attractive body naturally.
Freaktofit has strict sourcing guidelines and relies on peer-reviewed studies, educational research institutes, and medical organizations. We avoid using tertiary references. You can learn more about how we ensure our content is accurate and up-to-date by reading our editorial policy.
- The Effects of Supraphysiologic Doses of Testosterone on Muscle Size and Strength in Normal Men; https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199607043350101
- Testosterone levels during systemic and inhaled corticosteroid therapy; https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0954611105800629
- Anabolic steroids linked to higher rates of premature death in men; https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/11/181121073244.htm
- Anabolic Steroid Effect on the Liver; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29521706/
- Anabolic steroid abuse may increase risk of abnormal heart rhythm and stroke; https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/06/160606082633.htm
- Modulation of immune responses by anabolic androgenic steroids; https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/019205619500078X