Integument being the external covering of the human body, it is put to great stress and strain by external environments like climatic changes, dust, irritants, non-pathogenic and pathogenic micro-organisms etc. Hair grows constantly. Grease (Sebum) of the skin is daily washed off and dust settles down on the skin. These have to be controlled for proper living and also the skin protected from climatic extremes by proper clothing. To take care of the sensitive skin and keep the skin healthy with your growing age, the following body skin care tips should follow;
6 Simple Skin Care Tips To Take Care of Your Sensitive Skin.
Bathing habits change from country to country, race to race and occupation to occupation. It is one of the best body skin care tips. The aim is to cleanse the skin of all the external agents which have settled down on it during the process of living.(1), (2)
In tropical countries, daily washing with clean and cool water is essential in summer weather. During cold weather, one should bathe in warm water as often as the person thinks necessary to keep himself clean.
Feet, genitalia and folds should be particularly washed. This skin should be properly dried after washing.
|Read Now: How To Stay Safe During Summer?|
Soaps and Shampoos.
Its use facilitates the process of cleansing. A simple, least alkaline, soap should be employed. Genitalia must be properly cleansed with soap and water daily.
This applies more so to prepuce and glans penis in non-circumcised males. Ears should be washed to avoid collection of grease plugs inside. It is one of the effective ways to take care of your sensitive skin.
People with greasy skin need more soap than those with a dry skin. Dry skins expect the use of super fatted soaps. Medicated soaps are least useful as far as the medication is concerned, but they can be great sensitizers.(3)
Shampoos are commonly used for the hair these days. Same remarks apply to shampoos as to oils and soaps.
It is used to replenish the grease lost from the integument in the process of washing and wear and tear. It nourishes the hair and skin and makes them smooth. So, it is essential, in the tropical countries, to apply oil on the genitalia especially under the prepuce, groins, armpits, in between the toes, trunk and scalp. It is consider as one of the best ways of caring for the skin.
In the author’s experience, this old Indian custom helps to prevent several tropical skin diseases particularly balanoposthitis, intertrigo and pityriasis versicolor. Several oil are available in the market; choice depends upon personal taste.
But the main emphasis should be on simplicity: Medicated and perfumed oils are great sensitizers. We see many cases of eczema due to such oils especially Brahmi, Amla, Kesh Kala, Loma etc.
We should stick to one brand of oil once it has been found suitable. Whenever a change is made it is a good rule to test it on the skin by applying a little behind the ear and leaving it on for 48 hours.(4), (5)
If no itching or redness results, it can be safely used. Many oils cause blocking of pores and hence produce blackheads (Oil acne). Such oils should be avoided.
In cold, dry whether as in North Indian Winter, it is a good habit to massage Vaseline or cold cream on exposed parts before retiring to bed.
Frequency of shaving is a question of habit and necessary. Emphasis should be on :
- Do not shave too closely by stretching the skin,
- Shave in one direction with the grain of the hair and,
- Use clean, sterilized sharp instruments.
It takes time to soften the beard before actual shaving. Soak the beard with water before applying the shaving cream or soap which should be lathered and allowed to soak thoroughly. In this way you can take care of your face to avoid pimples.
Use light strokes for shaving, face must be rinsed with water, preferably hot and then an astringent lotion or alum applied because shaving is accompanied by mild injuries and abrasions.(6)
Electric razors are popular with many because they save time and eliminate the lathering. They are useful in patients with pustules and warts on the face.
After-shave lotions are of no real value except for the cosmetic fragrance. Warm water, rubbing alcohol and Indian alum are equally helpful and much cheaper substitutes.
- To take care of the skin it is important to soften the beard with lather or with soap and water.
- Use clean, sterilized, sharp instruments; if ‘pulling’ is noticed, change the blade.
- Avoid too much stretching of the skin. Do not shave too closely to the skin.
- Shave in one direction along the grain of the hair.
- After shaving, rinse with water; avoid strong antiseptics.
- Apply alum or alcohol or an astringent lotion.
Simple living pays dividends in the long run. Cosmetics contain chemicals to which individuals may be sensitive; so care should be exercised in selecting the brand.
Hair dyes and nail varnish are usually big culprits in producing chemical eczemas.(7), (8), (9)
Clothing and Foot-wear.
Never encourage the use of wool next to the skin. In summer, wear loose cotton clothing and open shoes. Clothing and foot-wear can cause dermatitis in sensitive individuals. Rubber sandals dermatitis is very common in practice. It is one of the best natural skin care tips. (10)
Nylon clothing interferes with sweating, hence may predispose to prickly heat, dyshidrosis and fungus infection particularly in summer.
Frequently Asked Questions.
1. Can I use products made with rice water, snail extract and ceramides together for skin care?
Yes, you can use products made with rice water, snail extract and ceramides, as all of those are rich in antioxidants and gives you several benefits, such as;
Rice water inhibit the action of elastase. (A compound that causes damage to elastin in your skin and leads to premature aging).
Snail extract enrich with the “Humectant Hyaluronic Acid”, which has skin hydrating properties and also has high levels of antioxidants which calm irritation in the skin and promote the production of healthy collagen.
Ceramides helps to create a wall to inhibit penetrability. It helps you to protect epidermis from environmental stress. However, it also tresses moisture into your skin, which helps to prevent dryness and irritation.
2. What are basic skin care products every teenager should use in afternoon or after getting back from school?
- Mild face washes.
- Moisturizer, lip balm and cream.
- For oily skin – facial moisturizing lotion.
- For dry skin – skin recovery moisturizer.
- Gentle milk facial cleanser or clarifying facial cleanser.
- Sunscreen SPF 50.
3. From what age should I start using vitamin skincare products or Am 18, can I use skin care products?
The appropriate age to start using vitamin skincare products should be from 20s. Because, this is the time at which the first signs of aging appears. It helps you to achieve healthy skin and keep you young.
4. Is teenagers are allowed to use natural skin care treatment?
Yes, teens who have dry rather than oily skin, can try milky cleanser and moisturizer. You may also use some natural products or home remedies to prevent acne, and must avoid using third party products without obvious permission from the doctor.
5. How to take care of spots on facial skin at the age of 65?
Here are some expert advices to eradicate the facial spots from the root;
- Protect your skin from the sun.
- Use sunscreen.
- Stop smoking.
- Plan a healthy and balanced diet.
- Avoid drinking alcohol.
- Exercise or yoga at least 4 days in a week.
- Clean your skin gently before sleep.
6. Can I use olive paste in skin care?
Yes, olive has proved the best natural product to treat damaged skin, and also improve quality of the skin. It is effective to reduce wrinkles, eczema, dryness and psoriasis, and also helps in cell regeneration.
It is important to take special care of the skin as it is a main organ of the body. However, along with the above mentioned tips one should take special care of his/her diet and lifestyle.
Freaktofit has strict sourcing guidelines and relies on peer-reviewed studies, educational research institutes, and medical organizations. We avoid using tertiary references. You can learn more about how we ensure our content is accurate and up-to-date by reading our editorial policy.
- Showering daily — is it necessary? https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/showering-daily-is-it-necessary-2019062617193
- Physical and Mental Effects of Bathing: A Randomized Intervention Study; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6011066/
- Evaluation of pH of Bathing Soaps and Shampoos for Skin and Hair Care; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4171909/
- Anti-Inflammatory and Skin Barrier Repair Effects of Topical Application of Some Plant Oils; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5796020/
- Natural Oils for Skin-Barrier Repair: Ancient Compounds Now Backed by Modern Science; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28707186/
- Insights into shaving and its impact on skin; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22385029/
- The impact of skin care products on skin chemistry and microbiome dynamics; https://bmcbiol.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12915-019-0660-6
- A Comparative Study on the Impact of Skin Care Products on the Self-Esteem of Women Users and Non-Users in Coimbatore City; https://www.ijrte.org/wp-content/uploads/papers/v7i5s/ES2175017519.pdf
- A STUDY OF THE FACTORS IMPACTING WOMEN’S PURCHASES OF ANTI-AGING SKINCARE PRODUCTS; https://getd.libs.uga.edu/pdfs/bailey_rena_l_201108_ms.pdf
- A Study of Factors Affecting on Men’s Skin Care Products Purchasing, Particularly in Karlstad, Sweden; https://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:328065/fulltext01.pdf
- What Is Balanoposthitis, and How Is It Treated?; https://www.healthline.com/health/mens-health/balanoposthitis
- Intertrigo; https://www.webmd.com/problems-and-treatments/guide/intertrigo-symptoms-causes-treatment-risk_factors_
- Dyshidrosis; https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/dyshidrosis/symptoms-causes/syc-20352342
- What Is Hyaluronic Acid?; https://www.harpersbazaar.com/beauty/a25573129/hyaluronic-acid-for-benefits-uses/