There are many controversies regarding the source of the protein, whether animal or plant. Further suggest that plant based meat protein is greater to animal based protein.
Well, we often familiar with the term “meat”. The first thing that comes in our mind is non veg product. Yes, you are right!
But do you know meat also found in vegetarian foods too? Don’t be surprised.
Plant based meat has a mimic properties similar like natural meat. Therefore, it is often considered as substitutes of an animal based meat.
Importance of Protein in Our Body.
Approximately 20% of the human body are made with protein. Our body doesn’t stock protein, in this situation it’s vital to get adequate protein from the diet. One can consume protein from several food sources.
Basically there are two vital source of protein which is plants and animals.
The Amino Acid Profile in Plant Based Meat.
While consuming Protein it’s broken down into amino acids. There are about 20 amino acids that the body uses to construct proteins.
Amino acids are used for every metabolic process in the body. But in comparison with animal based protein, then it is often low in isoleucine, tryptophan, lysine and methionine.
To achieve an ideal health, your body needs all the essential amino acids with exact ratios. Amino acids are categorised into two parts –
Body itself produce non-essential amino acids. But, it can’t produce essential amino acids, which require to be acquire through your diet.
Vegetables contains several essential amino acid like histidine, tryptophan, arginine, phenylalanine methionine, valine, and threonine.
Certain Types of Ingredients Used to Make Plant Based Meat.
- Other pulses and legumes
- Wheat gluten (gluten flour)
- Different types of nuts
- Green Jackfruit
Plant Based Meat for Vegetarian- Is it?
Yes, plant based meat is for vegetarian as it does not contain any non veg properties. It is not mandatory that all vegetarians are vegans.
Majority of the vegetarians want to taste meat. But due to some aspects they are unable to do so, like-
- Ethics– It says no one can take one’s life for their benefits or choice.
- Environment– In order of sustainability of the planet.
- Health– To maintain a fit body and be away from diseases.
Why Plant Based Meat is Good for You?
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), consumption of processed red meat can increased the risk of stroke, heart disease, and early death.
On huffing post it stated that meat as a “New Tobacco”. Let’s have a look why plant based meat is good for you.
- It has a wide range of nutrients.
- Healthy fibers are there.
- Enrich with antioxidants
- It has 100 to 1000 of phytochemicals which protect our body from several decease and support good health.
Plant based protein leads many health benefits. Several studies recommends that vegetarians are lesser suffer with the problems of obesity, cholesterol and blood pressure.
As well as they have a lower risk of stroke, cancer, Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s and heart disease.
Reduce the Risk of Heart Disease.
According to the trial by “The EcoAtkins” it has been found that a plant based protein rich diet can control blood pressure level, cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease other than the high carb diet or typical diet.
Useful to reduce the Risk of Type 2 Diabetes.
However, adding 2 serving legumes for 3 days per week with your diet can control the level of cholesterol, blood sugar and even blood pressure.
Safeguard Against Weight Gain.
Consuming plant based protein assist you to control your excessive weight. According to the study on 1,20,000 male and female, it has been found that consuming nuts on daily basis helped them in weight loss.
However, one serving of chickpeas, lentils, beans, or peas each day can fulfill your nutritional requirement and can maintain a healthy weight and assist you in weight loss.
Nutrients Found in Plant Based Meat.
Several high quality nutrients can be found in vegetarian foods like-
- Protein: Apart from animal meat, plant meat also contains a good amount of protein. It’s also easy to digest like beans and legumes, even whole grains have a good content of plant protein. Many more examples of plant based meat protein are chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, quinoa etc.
- Iron: For the formation of red blood cells and cognitive function iron is compulsory. It can obtained from fresh fruits and vegetables. It suggested that consuming iron rich foods along with vitamin C increase the absorption rate. For example: legumes, spirulina, beans, amaranth etc.
- Zinc: Compulsory for the function of our immune system. It is been found in higher amount in non veg products like meat. However, also found in many plant based foods like oats, lentils, quinoa etc.
- Calcium: It prevent inflammations and necessary for the bones and joints. Major source of calcium is milk. But also found in Plant based foods like kale, spinach, chia seeds etc.
- Vitamins: Plant based meat are enrich with vitamins, which are easy to digest and more efficient to absorb. It provides energy, enhance mental functions, relief stress and lots more. Some examples are vegetables, nuts, fruits etc.
Frequently Asked Questions.
1.What is in plant based meat?
Every plant based meat has several ingredients, such as;
- Extracted plant protein or whey protein,
- Spices and binding ingredients.
- Less cholesterol.
- Soy Protein Concentrate.
- Coconut Oil.
- Sunflower Oil.
- Natural Flavors.
- Potato Protein.
- Yeast Extract.
- Cultured Dextrose.
- Food Starch Modified.
- Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E).
- Zinc Gluconate.
- Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1).
2. Is plant based meat healthy for me?
Yes, plant based meat is absolutely a safe and healthy choice for you. However, according to the several research it is proved that consumption of red meat leads to cancer and other several health issues, due to the presence of chemical. So, it is a good choice for you to select a plant based healthy meat.
3. How plant based meats are made?
Plant based meat are made from natural and organic ingredients. However, several company used different kind of iron containing compound known as “Leghemoglobin”, it is an oxygen transport molecule usually found in the roots of legumes, for example soy.
4. Is plant based meat good for me?
Yes, in comparison with the other animal based meat, plant based meat is far better. Because animal based meat contains too muchsaturated fat and other harmful substance which creates a negative effect on your health. It leads heart attacks, obesity, hypertension and inflammation in your body.
5. Is plant based meat good for weight loss?
According to a study diet consist plant based meat is much effective for weight loss. As it contains high in fiber and other healthy nutrients, it effectively control your ideal body weight and take you in the accurate BMI category.
According to the evidence it can be suggested that, to achieve ideal health your diet should contain less with processed meat and rich with plant meat.
Plant based protein food sources may have lower quality of proteins. Therefore, it can be suggested that diversity your foods to ensure, you are getting all the amino acids which are essential for your body.
For Non vegetarians, it’s essential to prepare a diet chart consist right balance of equally animal and plant based foods (fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds and whole grains) to a lead healthy lifestyle and merely free from diseases.