Nowadays obesity raise most of the critical medical problem in majority of the individuals. Due to our busy and hectic schedule, we often neglect our precious health. Which leads to weight gain and several other health complications like heart disease, hypertension, gastro problem etc. So, today we will tell you about GOLO diet and how it works in weight loss.
Few years ago, in 2016 one of the most searched diet ranked in the internet was “GOLO Diet” and since then its popularity increased.
So let’s know what is GOLO Diet? And how it helps in weight loss?
What is GOLO Diet?
As per the tagline GOLO diet means Go Lose Weight, Go Look Great and Goal of Life. GOLO diet concentrate on the management of insulin levels which aids in promoting weight loss. It was first developed by a team of doctors and pharmacists, which focuses on hormones.
How Does GOLO Diet Work?
The concept of this diet is based on creating a link among the missing hormones which helps in weight loss. Hormone imbalances initiate stress and anxiety which caused fatigue, hunger cravings, poor sleep quality and other symptoms.
All these drive emotional decisions like overeating, binging and cravings for fatty or high sugar food.
Therefore, the GOLO diet plan is based on researches which is comprised of low glycemic index food, that control blood sugar and insulin level. Thus promotes weight loss by burning fat and boost metabolism.(1), (2), (3), (4)
|Footnote. Golo diet is a diet which aids in weight loss by managing insulin levels by balancing hormones.|
Reviews on Does GOLO Diet Help in Weight Loss?
The GOLO Diet cheers to eat healthy, whole foods and increase physical activity. This hypothetically aids in weight loss.
There are few studies which showed that inclusion of physical activity along with GOLO Diet plan helps to lose weight.
On the other hand since these studies are done by the creators of the GOLO plan hence it’s not published in peer reviewed journals.
Furthermore, it’s not clear whether GOLO Diet helps in weight loss or not. Because simple healthy eating along with physical activity can helps to lose weight.
|Footnote. GOLO Diet encourages eating healthy along with inclusion of physical activity for weight loss. Yet it is not clear either GOLO Diet is effective or not.|
GOLO Diet Benefits.
GOLO Diet follows certain nutrition norms like increase in physical activity, elimination of highly processed food. Both of these help to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Along with it improves blood sugar level. As well as it supports in weight loss.
Another study showed that nominally processed foods helps to keep blood sugar level balanced rather than ultra-high processed foods.(7)
GOLO Diet suggests eating healthy whole foods which are nutrient dense like lean proteins, fruits and vegetables, healthy fats. This fulfill our daily nutritional requirement. They are full of vitamins, minerals and enrich with antioxidants.
It would be better to incorporate your diet plan according to proper nutrition plate like merging 1-2 portions of carbohydrate along with protein, vegetables in a meal.
|Footnote. GOLO Diet follows some nutrition principle. It encourages eating healthy food which helps in lowering blood sugar level and promoting weight loss. Along with this, it also cheers to make a balanced diet plate containing all food groups.|
Food to Eat in GOLO Diet.
It is suggested to have 3 meals per day and it should contain four fuel groups. The standard serving for each fuel groups should be 1-2 portions.
The main component of GOLO diet is GOLO Metabolic Fuel Matrix. It is done by selection of four major fuel groups- carbohydrates, proteins, vegetables and fats.
In this diet the most important thing is serving size. Serving size varies a lot. So while going for this diet you need to keep in mind about the serving sizes. Starting from the serving of oil to the serving of foods like fish or meat.
To get more benefit like cherry on top of a cake, add physical activity in your routine.
|1. Protein||Eggs, poultry, dairy products, nuts and sea food.|
|2. Carbohydrates||Whole grains, sweet potatoes, beans, white potatoes, berries, fruits, yams.|
|3. Vegetables||Green Leafy vegetables like spinach, kale; broccoli, celery, cucumbers, zucchini, Brussels sprouts.|
|4. Fats||Flax seeds, olive oil, coconut oil, nuts, chia seeds, hemp seeds, GOLO salad dressing.|
|Footnote. The standard servings for each fuel groups should be 1-2 portions in diet. Above table showed the variety of foods which can be included in diet as major fuel groups.|
Food to Avoid.
GOLO Diet encourages having healthy food and discouraging processed and unhealthy food. Before starting GOLO diet it is better to remove toxins by short term diet variations like “7 DAYS KICKSTART”, “RESET 7”.
The food to be avoid are:
- Grains: Rice, bread, pasta, barley, oats, millets (for short term diet only).
- Dairy Products: Cheese, yogurt, butter, milk, ice-cream (for short term diet only).
- Processed food: Crackers, cookies, potato chips, baked goods.
- Red meat: Pork, lamb, fatty cuts of beef (for short term diet only).
- Sugar sweetened beverages: Juices, cold drinks, soda, sport drinks, sweetened tea, and vitamin waters.
- Artificial Sweeteners: Saccharin, sucralose, aspartame.
|Footnote. GOLO Diet recommends going for healthy diet. Exclude processed and unhealthy food.|
Drawbacks of GOLO Diet.
GOLO Diet is a healthy diet which helps in weight loss. On the other hand it has drawbacks too. The drawbacks are:
- It’s very expensive. People can’t afford it easily. For example, cost of GOLO Release is $38 for 90 tablets which can last for 1-3 months according to your intake.
- Even though it contains plant extracts which supports metabolism and have many micronutrients, all these you can obtain from a healthy nutritious diet.
- Due to its strict principle regarding food choice and portion size some people might face problems, whereas some people may make a healthy food by following its dietary guidelines.
- Many variations in the diet and many factors need to be concerned for it like fuel values, personal metabolic rates and fit points. This thing makes consumer confused to cope up with it.
- Studies on this diet are done by the creators of itself; hence there is lack of research. Therefore, it is not clear whether the diet has any extra added benefits or not apart from healthy eating along with physical activity.
|Footnote. GOLO Diet is very expensive and it’s difficult for the people to afford it. People often get confused and it’s very difficult to follow. Due to lack of research it’s not clear whether it has any additional benefits or not.|
GOLO Diet Plan.
Menu Sample According to Western Pattern.
Sample GOLO Diet menu plan for one-week:
|Monday||Breakfast: steamed spinach with scrambled egg, almond and blueberries|
|Tuesday||Breakfast: Sautéed broccoli with omelette, olive oil, apple|
Lunch: Buckwheat with Roast turkey, olive oil and roasted bell peppersDinner: Stir-fried vegetables with salmon, boiled potatoes
|Wednesday||Breakfast: Omelette with guava and almonds|
Lunch: Spinach with tuna salad, GOLO salad dressing and an orangeDinner: Zucchini stuffed with beef and stir fry in coconut oil with tomatoes
|Thursday||Breakfast: Pears with poach egg, Pista|
Lunch: Yam with pork chops, almonds and steamed spinachDinner: Mashed potatoes with roasted beef, olive oil and almond
|Friday||Breakfast: Oats with sautéed zucchini, boiled egg, hemp seeds|
|Saturday||Breakfast: Oats with boiled egg, chia seeds, strawberries|
Lunch: Broccoli with stir fried beef, quinoaDinner: Pan Fried salmon fish with salad
|Sunday||Breakfast: Sautéed Broccoli with omelette, walnut, apple|
Lunch: Grilled chicken with sautéed veggies, GOLO Dressings, SaladDinner: Brussels sprouts with stir fried salmon, boiled potatoes, olive oil
Menu Sample According to Indian Pattern.
GOLO Diet sample menu plan for one week:
|Monday||Early Morning: 1 glass boiled jeera water in empty stomach|
Breakfast: Semolina upma, boiled egg, almondsLunch: Roti with 1 katori mixed vegetable sabjee, dal, salad, curdDinner: Roti with fish curry, salad
|Tuesday||Breakfast: Pancake, omelet, any one fruit|
1 glass Basil seeds soak in water- 30mins before lunchLunch: Roti with fish curry, green leafy vegetables curry, salad, curdDinner: Roti with dal, mixed sauté veggies, salad
|Wednesday||Breakfast: Riceflakes upma, green gram sprout with ginger and rock salt, scrambled egg, any one fruit|
Lunch: Roti with steamed or shallow fry chicken with veggies, salad1 glass Basil seeds soak in water- 30mins before dinnerDinner: Roti with mixed vegetables curry, salad, curd
|Thursday||Early Morning: 1 glass boiled jeera water in empty stomach|
Breakfast: Plain dosa in coconut oil, sambhar, almonds or walnutLunch: Roti with soybean curry, steamed spinach curry, curd, saladDinner: Roti with dal, baked fish with lemon and honey, salad
|Friday||Breakfast: Cornflakes with milk in minimal amount, green gram sprout with ginger and rock salt, boiled egg|
1 glass Basil seeds soak in water- 30mins before lunchLunch: Roti with steamed paneer sabji, curd, saladDinner: Roti with tossed veggies, dal, salad, almond or walnut
|Saturday||Early Morning: Drink 1 glass of overnight soaked meethi seeds water in empty stomach|
Breakfast: Sago upma, scrambled egg, any one fruit, almondLunch: Roti with curd fish curry, sautéed green leafy veggies, saladDinner: Roti with tossed mixed veggies with light seasoning, dal, salad, walnut
|Sunday||Breakfast: 1 glass sattu drink, bouled egg, any one fruit|
1 glass Basil seeds soak in water- 30mins before lunchLunch: Rice, chicken curry with light seasoning, curd, saladDinner: Roti with soybean curry, salad, almond
|Footnote. Above sample menu is given according to the Western as well as Indian Pattern which contains all four fuel groups.|
GOLO Diet helps in managing hormone levels in our body through GOLO supplements and aids in weight loss. It encourages eating healthy balanced diet consisting of four fuel groups along with physical activity.
GOLO Diet helps in weight loss as well as controls blood sugar level. It is expensive, confusing and difficult to follow. More researches need to be done to know its effectiveness.
Freaktofit has strict sourcing guidelines and relies on peer-reviewed studies, educational research institutes, and medical organizations. We avoid using tertiary references. You can learn more about how we ensure our content is accurate and up-to-date by reading our editorial policy.
- The effect of breakfasts varying in glycemic index and glycemic load on dietary induced thermogenesis and respiratory quotient; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19836218/
- Effect of the glycemic index on lipid oxidation and body composition; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21519729/
- Beneficial effects of a 5-week low-glycaemic index regimen on weight control and cardiovascular risk factors in overweight non-diabetic subjects; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17617942/
- An 18-mo randomized trial of a low-glycemic-index diet and weight change in Brazilian women; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17823436/
- Exercise and Type 2 Diabetes; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2992225/
- The impact of brief high-intensity exercise on blood glucose levels; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3587394/
- Minimally processed foods are more satiating and less hyperglycemic than ultra-processed foods: a preliminary study with 98 ready-to-eat foods; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27125637/