What is Shawarma? Well, Shawarma is a type of Middle Eastern cuisine that is prominent in the Western cultures of the 21st century. This dish is widely consumed as it is a healthy dish. This popular dish refers to a wrap or sandwich in which thinly sliced cuts of meat such as chicken, beef, goat, lamb, or turkey are layered with tahini sauce or hummus to rotate in large pieces of boiled or hot flatbread or pita bread. Still, it’s likely that people eat chicken shawarma more often than other types of meat. Also, inside, there is another food like vegetables like tomato grilled and spicy turnips. As a result, there is no denying that shawarma is such a healthy and delicious dish.
How It Is Prepared?
It is prepared by cutting the middle part of the beaten bread. Next, fill in the meat, sauce and other toppings. You can use a variety of lean meats, such as chicken and beef, although beef shawarma is usually popular in Turkey and other parts of the world. Without tahini sauce, shawarma is not shawarma at all.
Is Shawarma Healthy For You?
Shawarma has several health benefits and side effects, lets find out those;
Benefits of Chicken Shawarma.
- If you want to lose weight by reducing carbs and getting a healthy body, chicken Shawarma is an excellent option.
- It’s a healthy snack if you skip the bread and eat it with only a few salads and cucumber dressings.
- Meat satisfies your craving to eat something delicious without putting extra fat into your body.
- It is a good source of vitamin A, C and protein.
- Chicken Shawarma provides calcium, magnesium, iron and sodium to your body.
Disadvantages of Shawarma.
The main disadvantages of eating Shawarma are:
- Obesity and increased chronic diseases.
- Increase headaches and migraines.
- The risk of depression increases.
- Tooth pits.
- Increase LDL cholesterol levels, which usually results in a heart attack.
- Increasing the amount of sodium can lead to a lack of water in the body.
|Read Now: 12 Amazing Health Benefits of Jackfruit – A Superfood|
Other Disadvantages of Shawarma.
1. Impact On Students.
Due to high sugar levels and presence of fat, it suppresses the brain’s activities that lead to brain peptides associated with learning and memory formation. These things can lead to memory loss and depression. It also causes insufficient growth and development.
2. Weakness of Bones.
The negative effects of Shawarma badly affect your bones. This is because eating so much Shawarma or other fast food increases blood pressure. Which leads to diabetes and weak bones in the long run. Brittle bones will have a significant impact on your well-being.
3. Increase Obesity and Laziness.
Increased obesity is one of the major common disadvantages of Shawarma. Its high sugar content, calories and fat content contribute to weight gain. Obesity can lead to a variety of medical problems, including diabetes, joint pain, and heart disease.
|Read Now: What is Obesity: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment and Exercises|
4. Bad for Skin.
It is also well known that shawarma has a negative effect on the skin. This is because the shawarma you consume is high in calories. Which has a long-term effect on your blood sugar levels. In the long term, the effect on sugar levels will undoubtedly increase the amount of acne.
5. Badly Affects Hunger and Digestion.
Excess intake of effects brain. Consuming more sugar can lead to fluctuations in blood sugar levels, allowing the brain to look for more carbohydrates, leading to more food.
6. Insufficient Growth and Development.
The nutritional value of shawarma results in a lack of important nutrients and vitamins. These nutrients are very important for proper growth and development of the body. Unhealthy eating habits can inhibit the development of the brain and body. Too much soda and sugar (present in Shawarma) can also damage the teeth and bone.
7. Can Cause Breathing Problems.
Respiratory problems are another difficult problem when it comes to the loss of eating shawarma. Eating food quickly makes it difficult to breathe, because eating food increases obesity. Obesity may increase the number of respiratory disorders.
A new report found that children who consume fast food 3 or 4 days a week are more likely to have asthma than other children.(1)
8. Effects on the Nervous System.
Eating too much fast food also affects your nervous system. The nervous system induces acute depression when compromised.
So, now you have come to know shawarma healthy or not. There is no substitute for good dietary habits and nutrient-rich foods. It is advisable to follow health diet programs to protect yourself from various diseases. This way, you will be able to get rid of the high medical fees and live a happy life.
- Experienced in the field of nutrition, health, fitness, and more. She earned Master Degree from National Institute of Nutrition, Hyderabad and currently serving in the Eastern branch of ICMR. View author's certificates.