Back are too much useful to lift any load or doing other physical activities. Everyone should concentrate on strengthening the back and also do exercise to increase its strength. So, today, we will tell you about the major differences between Pull-ups exercise and lat pull down exercise and the correct procedure along with its advantages and mistakes.
The upper and middle back helps to stabilize the joints of the shoulder muscle and if your shoulders are strong and stable, you can able to lift heavy weights easily. So, you must include Pull-ups and lat pull down exercises in your daily workouts in a proper way.
What is Pull-Ups Exercise?
It is an exercise in which the body is pulled upwards with the help of arms and shoulders, that is why it is called pull-ups. It primarily engage your biceps, middle and lower back, lats and shoulders.
Pull-up is a complete exercise that tone the upper body. Whether you are a beginner or a professional, you must definitely include this exercise at the gym on routine basis.
This is a bodyweight workout that has a lot of benefits. It exerts effects on a lot of parts of your body, so it can also be called as compound exercise.
There are also many ways to do this exercise, so that it can increase your strength as well as mass and also promotes fat loss. There are many people who avoid doing it because it takes a lot of strength.
Machine For Pull-Ups Exercise.
Pull-up bar is mainly required for this exercise. Many gyms also have pull-up machines for beginners that push the body from the bottom. Those who do not go to the gym can also use high-altitude rod.
Types of Pull-Ups Workout.
- Negative Pull-Ups.
- Kipping Pull-Ups.
- Weighted Pull-Ups.
- Towel Grip Pull-Ups.
- Side-To-Side Pull-Ups.
- Walking Pull-Ups.
- Tarzan Pull-Ups.
- Classic Pull-Ups.
- Pull-ups with Leg Raise.
What Muscles do Pull Up Works?
Primarily pull ups use lats and biceps muscle, but it also includes core, rhomboids and deltoids muscles.
How To Do Pull-ups?
At first you have to stand under the pull-ups machine or rod. Then raise both hands and hold the rod at some distance (5-6 inches) from the shoulder width.
Keep in mind while raising the body your hands and body must be parallel. You can keep the feet straight or even bend.
After getting ready for exercise, pull the body up with the hands so that your chin comes t
o the rod. Now, after holding the body for 1 second, gradually bring the body down to the initial position.
This whole sequence is called a reps. Start with 5 reps according to your capacity and then gradually increase.
Benefits of Pull-Ups.
- Pull-ups exercise improves the strength considerably. It increase stamina, strength and endurance by doing it every day.
- It strengthens the grip of the hands, so that you can get a lot of help in everyday activities.
- This exercise has the highest impact on your back muscles, so regular practice can very helpful in the flexibility of the spinal cord as well as to relax the back pain to a great extent.
- A lot of power is used in pull-ups, so it takes a lot of calories while doing it. Which can also increase the metabolism.
- Endorphin hormone is released in the body during pull-ups, also known as happy hormone. As soon as it released, your mood becomes fresh.
- It also tone your shoulders and arms muscle.
- Pull-ups increase heart beat and a large amount of oxygen starts reaching in the body.
Mistakes During Pull-Ups Exercise.
- It is often seen that most of the people do not take their chin to the rod, which is the wrong way. If you take the chin to the rod, you can get more benefit.
- Many people do the bridge-up very quickly, so keep in mind that maintain a normal speed while doing it. Doing this exercise with wrong posture is put useless emphasis on the muscle and you don’t get much benefit.
- While holding the pull-up bar, some people either hold it far away from the shoulder level or some people pass too much. Both these conditions are wrong. It is considered correct to hold a grip of 5-6 inches out of the shoulder while pull-ups.
- You must focus to your breathing while doing the movement. While dragging the body up, drag the breath inside and release it out while bringing down.
What Is Lat Pull Down Exercise?
Apart from Pull-ups exercise lat pull down is also effective exercise which mainly meant for wings. But, at the same time, it trains upper and middle back. It is a bridge exercise which is considered to be the best exercise to increase the size of the latissimus dorsi muscle, thereby increase the width of the back.
Lat Pull Down Machine.
There is a special machine for lat pull down exercise, which are;
- Seated cable row.
- Close grip lat Pull down.
Types of Lat Pull Down.
The most variable that is used is the wide grip lat pull-down, but in addition, it can be done in many ways.
- Underhand lat pull down.
- Unilateral lat pull down.
- Straight-arm lat pull down.
- Close grip lat pull down.
How To Do Lat Pull Down?
In this exercise, you have to sit on the machine. Barbell has to hold at some distance from the shoulder. Then slowly pulled down upper chest and bring it to the front of the chin.
Keep in mind that proper breathing plays an important role in this exercise, so breath in while pulling up and release the breath while dragging the weight down.
Then gently release the barbell upwards. The weight must comes to your wings while dragging and feel the stretch while leave the weight.
You must start with low weight and then gradually increase the weight. Place 10-12 reps in each set and take 30 secs of rest in between of each set.
Benefits of Lat Pull Down.
- It is a very good exercise for the wings, which makes your back wider.
- With this exercise, you can also train the back muscle separately, i.e., without engaging the biceps or triceps.
- It strengthens your back and helps in bridge activities.
- It trained your wings and increases its size.
Mistakes During Lat Pull Down.
If you keep these things in mind while doing this exercise, you can get a very good result.
- Do not try to lift heavy weight at the beginning. First practice with low weight and then try to lift heavy weights.
- Do not overuse the forearms while doing this workout. Always try to put strength from your wings and shoulders.
- Do not bend the elbow backwards or forward, otherwise you may feel pain in the joints.
- Perform this exercise slowly. If you do it quickly, then the muscles will not focus properly.
Lat Pull Down Alternatives.
The lat pull down alternatives are:
- Barbell pullover.
- Dumbbell pullover.
- Dumbbell row.
- Chin up.
How To Do Lat Pull Down Without Machine?
Frequently Asked Questions.
1. How many pull ups should I be able to do?
Up to 8 pull ups a men can do, and about 13-17 reps is considered for fit and strong. Whereas, for women 1-3 pull ups are recommended for about 5-9 reps.
Now you may have understood the major difference between pull-ups and lat pull down exercise. As, both of this exercise are very effective for your back muscle. By adding this exercise in your daily routine, you can get a tone body along with several positive health benefits.
Beginners always start with light weight and workout under the supervision of a trainer. Tell an Expert immediately if you feel a stretch or pain in muscle.
Always challenge yourself to do this exercise, then see how you are able to gradually lift more weight.
Freaktofit has strict sourcing guidelines and relies on peer-reviewed studies, educational research institutes, and medical organizations. We avoid using tertiary references. You can learn more about how we ensure our content is accurate and up-to-date by reading our editorial policy.
- Priming for a Pullup: How to Do Negatives; https://www.healthline.com/health/negative-pull-ups
- The Kipping Pull-Up; https://www.crossfit.com/essentials/the-kipping-pull-up
- The Top 10 Benefits of Weighted Pull-Ups; https://www.pullup-dip.com/weighted-pull-ups-benefits
- The Benefits Of Towel Pull-Ups, Rows, And Much More; https://barbend.com/towel-grip-training/
- Side-to-Side Pull-Up; https://www.exercise.com/exercises/side-to-side-pull-up/
- Walking On Air Pull Ups; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_08dtSwW714
- Pull-Up Variations to Get Over The Bar; https://www.progenexusa.com/blogs/news/pull-up-variations-to-get-over-the-bar
- 8 Different Grip Positions for Pull-Ups; https://www.pullup-dip.com/pull-up-grip-position
- How To Pull Off A Hanging Leg Raise; https://www.coachmag.co.uk/exercises/abs-workout/3657/3a-hanging-leg-raise