When it comes to getting rid of double chins, most people think they have to resort to dangerous or invasive options like liposuction or neck lifts, but that’s not necessarily the case. There are plenty of effective exercises, diet and home remedies you can do at home to firm and reduce the size of your neck and chin area, improving your overall neck profile and making you look and feel years younger in just a few weeks’ time! Additionally, these exercises will also help improve your posture, so you’ll stand taller and appear slimmer.
What is double chin?
A double chin is excess fat accumulation under the lower jaw. It can make your neck seem shorter and rounder, and it can make you look older than you really are.
What Causes a Double Chin?
There are two main causes for getting double chins, that are weight gain and aging.
As you age, your skin will lose elasticity and fat will be more likely to stick to the bottom of your chin. If you’re not trying to lose weight, there is no way you can avoid getting chins as time goes on.
Best Exercises to Get Rid of a Double Chin Fast.
1. The Traditional Rotation Method.
The best exercises to reduce neck fat are ones that involve rotation. This is because these movements will engage the muscles that have the ability to move the jawline and also work on improving range of motion in the neck. One great exercise for this purpose is called The Traditional Rotation Method;
- At first sit upright with your head facing straight ahead.
- Then, place your hands on either side of your head (near your ears) and rotate it left as far as you can go without twisting at the waist or hips.
- Hold this position for five seconds then repeat on the right.
*Note: It’s important to maintain proper posture while performing any movements, as slumping over while working out can contribute to additional fat deposition around the neck area.
Maintaining good posture will help with reducing the amount of excess fat around your neck area by stimulating activity in major muscles like those found in your lower back, shoulders and abs.
2. Pucker Up.
- Tilt your head back & look at the ceiling.
- Hold your lips as if you were kissing the ceiling to stretch the area under your chin.
- Stop ripening and bring your head back to its normal position.
3. Straight Jaw Jut.
- Tilt your head back and gaze up at the ceiling.
- Move your lower jaw forward until you feel a gentle stretch under your chin.
- Hold for ten seconds before relaxing back into a neutral position.
4. Lower Jaw Jut.
- At first tilt your head back & gaze up at the ceiling.
- Turn your head to the right.
- Move your lower jaw forward.
- Pause and leave for 5 to 10 seconds.
- Repeat the same by turning the head to the left.
5. Stretch of Tongue.
- Looking straight ahead, stick your tongue out as much as you can.
- Thereafter raise your tongue upwards toward your nose.
- Pause and leave for 10 seconds.
6. Roll The Tongue.
- Keeping your head straight, roll and spread your tongue toward your nose as much as you can.
- Repeat the process in the same way, and stop for 10 seconds.
- Repeat after a 10-second break.
7. Fish Face.
Pouting is definitely a selfie essential, but doing it regularly as part of your exercise session can help you get rid of double chin. All you have to do is;
- Pull your cheeks inwards and hold them for 30 seconds.
- Breathe in and repeat the exercise four to five times.
- If it is too hard, you may try with pout.
8. Chewing Gum.
Yes, you read it right! It may sound strange, but chewing gum is one of the simplest exercises to reduce the fat under the chin.
When you chew gum, the muscles of the face and chin are in constant motion, which helps to reduce excess fat. It strengthens the jaw muscles while lifting the chin up.
- Sit in a knee-bending position with your legs bent back (Vajrasana) and place your palms on your thighs.
- Keep the back and head straight and take the tongue out.
- Pull the tongue outward as much as possible but without putting too much pressure.
- Take a deep breath and roar like a lion while exhaling.
- Do five to six repetitions for better results.
10. The Giraffe.
This is the easiest exercise, and works wonders on a double chin.
- Sit in a relax position and look straight in front.
- Place the fingers on the neck nape and stroke downwards.
- Also, tilt the head backwards, then touch the chest with the chin by bending the neck.
- Repeat the process twice.
11. Tennis Ball Chin Roll.
You must have seen people using huge rubber balls to make their backs and legs curvy. But did you know that it works with your chin as well?
Using a tennis ball on your neck can help tone the muscles under your chin. It can strengthen the skin of the area and also deal with excess fat.
- Just place the tennis ball under your chin and lower your face, placing the ball in front of your throat.
- Press your chin firmly on the ball and hold for five seconds.
- You should repeat this exercise twice in a day.
Treatments To Get Rid of a Double Chin.
There are many ways for one to get rid of their double chin. However, some methods may be more suitable for you than others depending on your specific needs.
If you have tried many different methods but the fat in your neck is still there, it could be time to visit with a plastic surgeon and see if they can help you get rid of your double chin.
They will perform following surgery or cut away the fatty tissue that is causing the appearance of your double chin in order to give you lasting results.
1. Liposuction Surgery.
Liposuction surgery can help reduce the size and appearance of fat deposits in your neck area by removing them through an incision made under the chin or around the neck.(1)
The procedure typically takes less than two hours, and most people return home from the hospital within 24 hours after treatment.
The average cost of this procedure is $6,000-$8,000, which includes anesthesia and postoperative care. In addition to reducing the size of your double chin and improving its appearance, this type of surgery can also improve other aesthetic concerns like scars or wrinkles on the face.
After this treatment you may need up to six weeks before you return back to work full time because pain medications will make it difficult for you to concentrate during this recovery period.
2. Thermage Skin Tightening Treatment.
The Thermage system, a non-invasive RF therapy that can help you achieve smoother, tighter and more youthful looking skin from the inside out.
Thermage is a non-surgical face lift whose long-lasting results occur in just one session and do not need a recovery time.
Diet to Get Rid of a Double Chin.
Reducing your neck fat is about reducing the amount of weight in that area. One way to do this is by following a diet.
Some experts suggest following a high-protein, low-carb diet and drinking at least eight glasses of water each day. This can help you reduce your fat levels overall and make your neck appear slimmer.
Other dietary changes include eating healthy fats such as olive oil, avocados and nuts; limiting sugar intake; and avoiding fast food.
Preventive measure for double chin.
It’s important to stay active because it keeps your muscles strong and healthy. In addition, the more muscle you have on your body, the more calories you burn at rest. So staying active will help reduce neck fat.
If you don’t want to go for a run or head out on an adventure, there are plenty of exercises that can help reduce neck fat. One way is by doing above mentioned exercises as shown above. You can do these every day at home or at your workplace, whenever you need an activity break.
Natural Home Remedies for Double Chin.
1. Green Tea.
Natural ingredients such as green tea can help maintain both your weight and your double chin.
Green tea has anti-inflammatory properties, so drinking it daily can promote weight loss. You can also get the same benefits by making and applying a green tea face mask.
While you wait for your green tea face mask to dry, make a cup of green-tea and enjoy. Leave the mask on for 10 to 15 minutes before washing it off with lukewarm water. You can apply this mask up to three times a week.
2. Massage With Wheat Seed Oil.
Natural oils, such as wheat seed oil can be used effectively to reduce the problem of double chin. Wheat seed oil contains vitamin E which tightens loose skin and improves skin elasticity.
To apply, first rub a few drops of wheat seed oil into your palm to warm it up. Gently apply oil on your neck and chin, massage in upward motion. Complete it for 20 minutes every night.
3. Egg White Mask.
Egg whites are a common ingredient in face masks because they are great for making your skin firm. So, why not use the power of eggs to tighten your jaw and chin?
Crack an egg and separate its white part – you can also add a few drops of lemon juice to lose weight around your chin. Dip a brush in the solution and apply it on your neck and chin. Leave it on for 15-20 minutes and then wash it off with cold water.
4. Eat Watermelon.
Watermelon is rich in vitamins, potassium and magnesium, which makes it very healthy to include in your diet.
Melons are delicious, low in calories and can help increase your body’s metabolic rate. Having a higher metabolism is less likely to lead to weight gain and reduced chin fat.
Frequently Asked Questions.
Decrease an overly large neckline with these simple tweaks to your everyday life.
(a) Eat more servings of fruit and vegetables per day.
(b) Replace refined grains with whole grains.
(c) Avoid processed foods.
(d) Eat lean protein, such as poultry and fish.
(e) Eat healthy fats like olive oil, avocados and nuts.
(f) Eat low-fat dairy products.
It is not any materialistic thing that you can cure it overnight. To get rid of double chin you need to maintain a proper diet along with exercise in your daily life.
Yes, chewing gum for at least 1 hour can help to reduce chin fat.
Even after you are skinny and having double chin, it indicates that genetically the extra body fat stores under your jawline.
The chin is the first place where fat can accumulate in the face, which also means it’s one of the last places you’ll lose weight. The good news is that there are many exercises, diet and home remedies you can follow to reduce neck fat and get rid of a double chin fast. The above mentioned best exercises for reducing neck fat all require little-to-no equipment and only take 10 minutes each day. They’re easy enough for beginners and effective enough for experts, so no matter what level you’re at, you’ll find something that works for you here!
Freaktofit has strict sourcing guidelines and relies on peer-reviewed studies, educational research institutes, and medical organizations. We avoid using tertiary references. You can learn more about how we ensure our content is accurate and up-to-date by reading our editorial policy.
- Fat Busters: Lipolysis for Face and Neck; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6128158/