Sometimes we ignore some physical problems by assuming it moderately. The problems may be serious over the time. One such problem is neck pain. Sometimes everyone has a problem of neck pain. It is such a pain that goes out of tolerance. So, it is necessary to treat it properly in time. When the pain increases, it also affects head, hands and shoulders. If you are too upset because of neck pain, we have brought this article for you. In this article, we will discuss about benefits of ice pack on neck pain.
What Is Neck Pain?
Neck pain can occur in any part of the neck. These include muscles, veins, bones, joints and discs between the bones. When one has pain in the neck, he may have difficulty in moving the neck.
Such as turning the neck on one side or bending back and forth. Some people have stiffness in the neck due to this pain. If the pain is begins with pressure on the nerves, it may cause numbness, tingling or weakness in the hands.(1)
Causes of Neck Pain.
Common causes of neck pain includes muscle stretching or stress. This may be due to everyday activities, which are as follows:
- Leaning on one side of the neck for hours.
- To watch TV or read a book sitting in a bad posture.
- The computer monitor has to be at a higher or lower height, which has to be up or down the neck to see.
- Do not bend the neck properly while exercise.
- To raise things very quickly or in a bad posture.
- An accident or fall can also cause a neck injury, which can cause neck pain.
- Medical conditions such as fibromyalgia.
- Cervical arthritis or spondylosis.
- Discs between broken bones.
- A small fracture in the spine due to osteoporosis.
- Spinal stenosis.
- Sprain in the neck.
- Spinal infection (osteomyelitis, discitis, abscess).
- Causes of cancer-affected spine.
Causes of Neck Pain in Children.
Often many parents reported about their children suffering from neck pain. It is been seen that most of the neck pain is due to muscle strain. But if the pain persists for long time and the area became stiff it is advised to consult with the doctor for further necessary steps.
Symptoms of Neck Pain.
Symptoms of neck pain includes:
- Feeling tingling.
- Pain while touch.
- Difficulty in swallowing.
- To feel giddy.
- Inflammation of the lymph gland (lymph node).
Neck pain is also combined with headaches, facial pain, shoulder pain, and numbness or tingling in the side. And all these problems often begin with the nerves in the neck. Sometimes the pain in the neck is accompanied by pain in the upper back or/and lower back.
When Should You Consult The Doctor?
If the symptoms persist for a week, the doctor should be consulted. It is important to take proper treatment even when the following symptoms appear;
- Severe neck pain for no apparent reason.
- Formation of a lump in the throat.
- Inflammation of the glands.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Difficulty in breathing and swallowing.
- Spreading a wave of pain in the sides or legs with neck pain.
- Feeling unable to move sides and hands.
- Inability to touch the chest with your chin.
- Bladder or intestinal problems.
Remedies for Neck Pain.
Most effective remedies for neck pain are:
- Essential oil.
- Apple cider vinegar.
- Ice pack.
- Rock salt.
Benefits of Ice Pack on Neck Pain.
An Ice Pack.
Method of Use.
Apply the ice pack on the affected are for a while.
Can I Use Ice Pack on Neck Pain?
Yes, if someone has neck pain, he or she can use ice packs to relieve the pain. In fact, ice pack on the affected area can reduce the swelling of the neck. Coolness can relieve neck pain.(2)
Other Benefits of Ice Pack on Neck Pain.
If you are suffering from swelling in the neck or muscles, apply ice packs on the affected area to relieve pain and swelling. This remedy narrows the blood vessels, thereby reducing inflammation.
Cold temperatures have a numb effect on the nerves which in turn plays an important role in reducing inflammation. For this, wrap four to five snowflakes in one cloth and apply it on the affected area for at least 20 minutes and repeat the process every hour. Do not apply ice directly to the skin, as it can lead to frostbite.
Applying ice packs on the affected area can effectively reduces pain and discomfort caused by muscle cramps. It helps to combat pain by reducing inflammation and improving blood circulation in the affected area.
For pain caused by vaccination, take an ice cube and rub it on your palm and place your hand on the area. For muscle pain, rub the ice-cube on the affected area. Do this at least three times a day for two to three days for better results.
Ice Helps To Treat Piles.
People suffering from piles can use ice to reduce pain and discomfort in the anus. Ice packs can help to reduce inflammation but do not apply it directly. Take some piece of ice cubes and wrap it in a plastic bag, sheet or in a clean cloth.
Now lie down in a comfortable position on your back and apply it on the affected area. Do this for a maximum of 10 minutes whenever you feel pain.
Ice Can Remove Tan and Sunburn.
Ice cubes also hydrate the skin. This is because ice contains water that reduces pain and swelling when put on the skin. To get more relief, you can also rub cubes on other parts of the body.
If you don’t have aloe vera, rub the ice cubes made of cucumber juice on the face and skin. Add rose water on the ice cube and rub it on the skin to get instant relief from sunburn.
Ice Reduces Toothache.
Ice can relieve toothache. Applying ice cubes on the sensitive area disables and relieves nerves and gums for some time. Wrap an ice cube in a cloth and place it on your cheek for few minutes.
You can also apply ice cube directly on the affected area. However it can be quite painful.
Prevention Tips For Neck Pain.
It is very easy to avoid the problem of neck pain. If you are working for several hours a day sitting on a computer or chair, you can avoid neck pain by adopting the tips below.(3)
- Take a few minutes during the work throughout the day and stretch the neck.
- If you are a tele caller, it would be better to use headphones.
- Keep it up to your eye level while working on a computer or laptop.
- If sitting on the chair for a long time, make sure the chair is convenient. This will not put pressure on the back, neck and shoulders etc.
- Avoid standing in one place for a long time.
- Instead of high heels, wear shoes those are comfortable.
- If you are on a long journey, you must stop in between and relax the body a little longer.
- Use comfortable pillows and mattresses while sleeping at night.
Frequently Asked Questions.
1. If pneumonia patient have neck pain, is it safe to take ice pack treatment for pain relief?
No, it might not be safe to take an ice pack to treat neck pain of pneumonia patient as it may catch the cold easily and will lead to increase in infection. Besides, it is advisable to consult with your doctor before taking any action with pneumonia patient.
Even if you are facing little bit difficulty in the neck, it is necessary to fix it in time, as the problem can be serious due to negligence. Try to avoid them by keeping in mind the reasons for getting relief from it. In addition, the home remedies and tips mentioned above can prove to be effective. We hope that the information regarding benefits of ice pack on neck pain in this article will prove useful to you. Also, keep reading for other health related information.
Freaktofit has strict sourcing guidelines and relies on peer-reviewed studies, educational research institutes, and medical organizations. We avoid using tertiary references. You can learn more about how we ensure our content is accurate and up-to-date by reading our editorial policy.
- Neck pain; https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/003025.htm
- Cold-water immersion and other forms of cryotherapy: physiological changes potentially affecting recovery from high-intensity exercise; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3766664/
- Neck pain or spasms – self care; https://medlineplus.gov/ency/patientinstructions/000802.htm
- ARE YOU FEELING GIDDY?; https://www.narayanahealth.org/blog/are-you-feeling-giddy/
- Osteomyelitis; https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/osteomyelitis/symptoms-causes/syc-20375913
- Discitis is a Spinal Disc Infection and Inflammation; https://www.spineuniverse.com/conditions/spinal-infection/discitis-spinal-disc-infection-inflammation
- Everything you need to know about fibromyalgia; https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/147083