Adho Mukha Svanasana is the Sanskrit word and also known as one of the finest pose in yoga. This posture is also called the Downward facing dog because of the shape is made just as the dog bends forward and pulls its body while doing this posture.
It is an essential part of Surya Namaskar and it helps to strengthen the whole body as well as make the muscles resilient. It helps to relieve stiffness in the shoulders and enhance the spine and keep the legs upright.
This posture is considered to be an important posture in many postures of yoga mudra, so most people practice this yoga posture.
Read More : A to Z yoga poses.
How to do Adho Mukha Svanasana?
First, stand upright on the ground and then lean down the two hands and lean down to the ground.
Your knees should be straight while bending and just below the hips while both your hands should be tilted not equal to the shoulders but a little forward.
Spread the palms of your hands forward in a bent state and keep the fingers parallel.
Exhale and lift your knees above the ground in the shape of a light bow for the downward respiratory posture.
Drag your hips enough from the pelvis at this point and press towards the slight little pubis.
Keep the hands completely spread from the bottom of the shoulders on the ground, but the fingers should be spread over the ground.
Then tilt your knees a little more on the ground and lift the hips up as much as possible.
The head should be tilted slightly towards the ground and should be in the back line. Now you are in a completely in respiratory posture.
Like Adho Mukha Svanasana, there are some other postures that get same benefit of Adho Mukha Svanasana by practicing every day and these postures are also beneficial for healthy body and eliminating many disorders from the body.
Downward Facing Dog Pose along with those also increases its effect and helps in strengthening the muscles.
Read More : Sphinx Pose for Men with Advantages and Steps.
Advantages of Adho Mukha Svanasana.
It is considered to be one of the best yoga pose. Practicing this yoga posture has many benefits to health and leads to the removal of various disorders from the body. Let us know what are the benefits of Adho Mukha Svanasana.
Strengthening Abdominal Muscles.
This pose causes a stretch of abdominal muscles. It strengthens the abdominal muscles and also leads to the removal of stomach disorders. This is a posture that has a greater impact on the abdomen. (1)
Improve Blood Circulation.
In this yoga, hips of the body are actually raised up and the head is tilted under the heart. This leads to gravitational force on the body, which promote fresh blood flow and improves blood circulation.(2)
Although the body is half-folded in this pose, it compresses the abdominal muscles by putting pressure on the digestive tract organs such as the liver, kidney and spleen, which improves digestion system.
Tone Hands and Feet.
The whole weight of the body comes to the hands and feet while doing the sub-oral respiration. Therefore, it works to tone the hands, feet and other organs and keeps them in a state of balance. This posture also strengthens the shoulders, arms and chest in addition to the hands and feet.
It keeps the mind calm and relieves all kinds of anxiety. Doing this posture creates a stretch of cervical spine, which leads to the removal of anxiety from the brain.
It creates a communication of energy in the body. In addition, it also plays an important role in rejuvenating the entire body. This posture helps to relieve the symptoms of menopause in women.
This yoga pose relieves back pain, fatigue, headaches and insomnia. In addition, this posture also helps in eliminating high blood pressure, asthma and sciatica etc.(3)
Precautions of Adho Mukha Svanasana.
Although this is a very profitable yoga pose but some precautions should be taken while practicing this posture, otherwise it may cause harm.
Before doing this posture, take these precautions;
- If you have any problems in your wrist, be careful while doing this posture otherwise the situation may be serious.
- While doing this posture, if you feel that there is a high body weight on the hands, try to move it towards the hips otherwise there may be pain in the hands.
- Avoid doing this posture if the back, waist, shoulders and arms are hurt.
- Pregnant women should avoid doing this posture or can practice only after taking the doctor’s advice.
- If a person is suffering from severe carpal tunnel syndrome, he or she should avoid.
- Do not practice this yoga posture if there is a problem of hypertension, eye infections and infection inside the ear.
- If there is a problem of diarrhoea or any kind of discomfort in the retina of the eye, you should refrain from doing this posture.
Among all the yoga poses Adho Mukha Svanasana is considered to be one of the best yoga pose. It has a lot of health benefits which helps in maintaining a good healthy and fit life.
But before doing any yoga pose you should be take care of yourself first and check whether you are facing any problem or not. If you are facing any problem you must consult doctor.
Along with yoga you should keep a healthy balanced diet in your daily routine too which will help you to stay active throughout the day. Beside drink plenty of water so that your body doesn’t get dehydrated.
1. R. Mrithunjay, T. Soumitra, A. Jessy, and S. B Manisha; Int J Yoga. 2017 May-Aug; 10(2): 59–66. doi: 10.4103/0973-6131.205515; Anatomical Correlation of Core Muscle Activation in Different Yogic Postures; Retrieved from
2. P. Chethana; January 4, 2018; Benefits of Adho Mukha Svanasana: 7 Health Benefits of Practicing Downward Facing Dog Pose Every Day;
3. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome;