Different Types of Kegel Exercise for Men and Women At Home
If there is an exercise that a women of all ages should do, then it is the Kegel exercise. Not only women, men can also get many health benefits by doing different types of kegel exercise at home in regular basis.
The Kegel exercise is also known as “Pelvic Floor Exercise”. Pelvic floor is a series of muscles and tissues that support the lower part of your pelvis by connecting them with each other. Among other functions, these muscles also play a vital role in controlling the flow of urine and sexual reaction during sex.
Many factors with age can weaken your pelvic floor muscles, such as pregnancy, childbirth, surgery, growing age, excessive muscle tension from constipation or chronic cough problems and obesity.
Discovery of Kegel Exercises.
Dr. Arnold Kegel has discovered this exercise. It helps to control the urinary incontinence of pregnant women and assist them to recover soon after the birth of the child. But in the last few years, it has been proved that Kegel exercise also helps in reducing the problem of premature ejaculation in the men. So, according to several studies it is proved that kegel exercise is effective for both men and women.
What is Kegel Exercise?
Pelvic is an area between the hips, which supports the uterus, bladder, small intestine and rectum. The chain of muscles and tissues that support the lower part of your pelvis by connecting it with each other is called pelvic floor.
With the help of this, the organ remains in its place and thus helps in controlling the flow of urine as well as contraction of the vagina and anus. In the Kegel exercise, it constantly shrink and strengthen the pelvic floor muscles.
The exercise of the genitals is called Kegel exercise. Doing this strengthens the muscles of the pelvic area. Which encourages sexual organs. Strong pelvic muscles plays a vital role in the sexual response of both men and women.
Why Kegel Exercise Needs to be Bookmark for Men?
The pelvic muscles are weakened for a number of reasons, such as obesity, surgery or growing age, which causes problems to control urination. Also, there is a problem of tension in the penis.
If the Kegel exercise is practice in regular basis, the weak pelvic muscles can be strengthen. It improves the flow of blood in your sexual organs. Which strengthens the pelvic area and improves your sex life. You can easily achieve more erection.
How To Identify Pelvic Muscles?
It is necessary to identify your pelvic muscle and find out the exercise. It cannot be seen, but you may feel it. At first feel that your urine bladder is full of urine, but there is no toilet around. Tighten your muscles and try to stop urination. These are your pelvic muscles.
When you are urinating, try to slow down the flow of urine. The muscles that engage to stop urine are pelvic muscle. You will be able to stop urination only when you are able to identify your muscle, but do not repeat this process.
Feel that you have a gas, but you have to stop. Bring a tightness to the muscles that you try to prevent defecation. It is also part of the pelvic muscle.
Types of Kegel Exercise at Home?
Once you identify your pelvic muscle. Then you will be able to exercise comfortably with different position. Undermentioned kegel exercise are effective both for men and women.
Lie down on the back and bend the knee slightly. Now relax your pelvic muscles for 10 seconds and then rest for ten seconds and repeat the same for 3 to 4 times.
Sit down and Exercise.
Sit on the chair and stretch the knee, now shrink your pelvic muscles and lift the knee up. Pause for ten seconds then rest for ten seconds and repeat the same for 3 to 4 times.
Spread the legs and feel that, you are trying to stop urination and gas. Pause for ten seconds and then relax.
Whatever your age, you can do the this exercise. Doing this exercise in a proper way will give you a lot of benefits. These are very easy and can be done anywhere. Whether you are sitting in the office, driving or sitting in the midst of friends or relatives etc.
If you are at home, it will be good if you choose a quiet place to sit or lie down. Once you recognize these muscles, shrink these muscles normally for five seconds while breathing.
Then, relax the muscle groups for five seconds and repeat the same process again. When you exercise, your abdomen, waist and thigh muscles should not be tight.
Practice it three to four times a day with 10 to 20 times repetition. It is necessary to do light practice at the beginning, it can be done in a comfortable state anytime and anywhere in the day.
Most people start it by lying or sitting in the chair. You have to wait for 4 to 6 weeks for any change. In addition, the benefit is visible in three months.
Other Types of Kegel Exercise at Home.
Fast Pump – Repeat the muscle fast and relax without stopping too long.
Stop – Put pressure on the pelvic muscle and stop the pressure as long as possible.
Kegel Muscle – Try to relax the muscle during toilet, instead of pressurizing the reverse.
When walking – When you walk try to lift your pelvic muscle.
After urination – Bring stress to your pelvic muscle after urination.
During sex – Strain in pelvic muscle during sex, which will continue to strain the penis.
Advantages of Kegel Exercise.
The advantages of Kegal exercise are different for women and men;
- Weak pelvic muscles among the women increases the problem of urine control. With the Kegel exercise this problem gradually starts to decrease.(1),(2)
- Helps in normal delivery during pregnancy.(3),(4),(5)
- Remove back pain.(6),(7),(8)
- Increase sexual stimulation during sex.(9),(10),(11)
- Improves the experience of childbirth.
- The body of women is ready for menopause.
Doctors recommend Kegel exercise for many problems in the men. You can do this exercise anywhere, it does not require any kind of equipment. There are several benefits related to this exercise for men, such as;
Avoid Premature Ejaculation.
Kegel Exercise strengthens the muscles of hip. So that men can avoid the problem of early discharge and you can easily do sex for a long time.(12)
Remove Erectile Dysfunction.
The problem of erectile dysfunction occurs when the sufficient amount of blood is supplied to the penis. Kegel exercise can help you to eradicate this problem by improving the blood flow in the pelvic region.
According the research on 55 men who were about 60 years old. Out of them, 28 people exercised pelvic floor and 27 people changed their routines. Thereafter, both the groups were compared.(13)
The result of those who exercised was something like this;
Erection improved in 40 % of people. Erections (penis stress) improved at 35 % among them and 25 percent of people show no change.
So, according to the researchers, the pelvic floor exercise or Kegel exercise proved to be an effective therapy for erectile dysfunction.
Other Benefits of Kegel Exercise.
- This exercise strengthens the pelvic area and increases blood circulation in the penis, thereby support prolonging stimulation in the penis.
- It improves the sexual stamina.
- Regular practice of Kegel exercises control the urine that comes repeatedly at night.
- The increase of pelvic organs can be prevented by this exercise.
- Overactive bladder.
- Urinary retention (after prostate surgery).
- Urinary dribbling.
Keep These Things in Mind During Kegel Exercise.
- Do not stop your breath, breathe deeply and keep your body in a comfortable state.
- Keep your bladder empty before doing the Kegel exercise.
- Don’t press your muscle, but feel that you are trying to lift it.
- After every pressure, relax the pelvic muscles.
- Do not try to tighten the muscles of the abdomen, buttocks and thighs. If you do not notice, the pain in the groin, abdomen and thighs may be felt in the wrong way.
- Do not expect immediate results, nor do more exercise. This may increase the problem of urination leakage.
- Exercise at different stages like lying down, sitting and standing.
- Pressure for five seconds at the beginning and relax for five seconds. Then gradually do it for 10 seconds.
Different Stages of Kegel Exercise.
- Once you find it comfortable to exercise at this stage, you can also exercise at a stage when there is a possibility of getting urine.
- While walking.
- Before coughing and snatching.
- On the way to the toilet.
- When standing by the seating stage.
According to the several studies it is proved that such types of Kegel exercise is one of the effective exercise for both men and women if you practice this in regular basis at your home. With the right procedure you can perform this exercise at your home or during your training session.
However, you have to maintain a healthy lifestyle along with balanced diet to achieve the maximum benefits of this exercise.
* What Causes Urinary Retention and How Is It Treated;
1. J. K Marzieh, T. Malihe, and M. Maryam; Glob J Health Sci. 2015 Mar; 7(2): 71–79.
Published online 2014 Sep 28. doi: 10.5539/gjhs.v7n2p71; The Effect of Pelvic Muscle Exercises on Urinary Incontinency and Self-Esteem of Elderly Females With Stress Urinary Incontinency, 2013; Retrieved from
2. El-Shamy F.F., Abd El Fatah E, Integr Med Int 2017;4:187–197, https://doi.org/10.1159/000488351; Effect of Antenatal Pelvic Floor Muscle Exercise on Mode of Delivery: A Randomized Controlled Trial; Retrieved from
3. G. Rebecca Gordon and B. Saul; Healthcare (Basel). 2016 Jun; 4(2): 22. Published online 2016 Apr 25. doi: 10.3390/healthcare4020022; A Systematic Review of the Effects of Exercise and Physical Activity on Non-Specific Chronic Low Back Pain; Retrieved from
4. G. Nahid, Z. Zahra, K. Nayereh, H. Hossein, and S. T Mohammad; Iran J Nurs Midwifery Res. 2015 May-Jun; 20(3): 347–353; The effect of pelvic floor muscle exercises program on sexual self-efficacy in primiparous women after delivery; Retrieved from
5. P. L Antonio, P. Giovanni, F. Andrea, M. Cristina, R. Rocco, Z. Alessandro, C. Elisabetta, and C. Antonio; Ther Adv Urol. 2014 Jun; 6(3): 83–88. doi: 10.1177/1756287214523329; Pelvic floor muscle rehabilitation for patients with lifelong premature ejaculation: a novel therapeutic approach; Retrieved from