Twisting Forward Fold or Pretzel Twist Pose is a hip opener, which can be included in yin yoga to help address the deeper tendons and fascia of the hips, knees, ankles and feet. Here are three main benefits of practicing this twist in yoga and its meaning.
Pretzel Twist Meaning.
The pretzel twist pose in this context is a close combination of ardha anand balasana and an upper body twist that keeps the shoulders active in a supine position. Being a creative yoga pose, teenagers will enjoy this exercise while building flexibility and stability on their joints.
How to Perform the Pretzel Twist Pose?
- First, arrange yourself in lateral shavasana. Now breathe in and bend the legs and turn straight into the supine position. Now rest your left foot on the mat. Breathe.
- Inhale and turn right. While exhaling, place your left palm near the chest on the mat. Support your upper body on it, inhale and lift it up.
- Now exhale slowly into the created space, bend your upper body slightly and move your right hand under your body and hold the left leg.
- Find your comfort, the head may have tilted slightly. Now while breathing, open your right leg in the position of the Ananda Balasana leg. Thighs on the ground and feet upwards. Exhalation.
- Inhale and hold your right leg with your left palm. Take a couple of breaths.
- Watch, be aware of shoulder strain, be aware of head position. The head is placed on the mat, but slightly tilted.
- Slowly try to place your right cheek on the mat. It can’t touch for something. If it doesn’t, let it be, let the head stay bowed.
Benefits Of The Pretzel Twist Pose.
The pretzel twist pose has lots of benefits. This pose also helps to lengthen the spine and open up the chest.
Pretzel twist can also help to relieve tension headaches and improve digestion. This pose is a great way to release stress and tension from the body, and it can also help to improve your flexibility.
It also opens up the pelvic region, which can help to relieve menstrual cramps or constipation.
In addition, because you have to maintain balance while performing this pose, it improves concentration and balance as well.
If you want to make this pose more difficult, you can do so by lifting one leg off the ground. If you want to make it easier, sit on a blanket or pillow.
It’s important that if you are going for maximum benefits from the pretzel twist that your back remains parallel with the floor during the duration of the stretch.
Variations On This Hip Opening Pose.
The pretzel yoga pose can be performed with the legs in different positions to target different areas. For example, if you bring your right leg up and over to the left side, you’ll be targeting your right hip.
If you bring your left leg up and over to the right side, you’ll be targeting your left hip. You can also keep both legs on one side for a deeper stretch.
|Read Now: Tabata Yoga : History, Benefits & Types|
The Pretzel Twist Pose is a great way to open up your hips and help address the deeper tendons and fascia of the hips. This pose can also help improve your balance and flexibility. In addition, the pretzel yoga pose can also help alleviate stress and tension headaches.
Freaktofit has strict sourcing guidelines and relies on peer-reviewed studies, educational research institutes, and medical organizations. We avoid using tertiary references. You can learn more about how we ensure our content is accurate and up-to-date by reading our editorial policy.
- Happy Baby Pose; https://www.yogajournal.com/poses/happy-baby-pose/