Many of us go to the gym twice or thrice on a weekly basis. Some people also go before or after work every day. Or maybe you’re just thinking about starting gym, and you’re not aware about what you should wear to the gym to give your best? Then we will help you in this matter.
Gym is not a place to make a major style statement, and you should ensure that you keep your workout outfit simple, comfortable, yet stylish. What your outfit in the gym won’t be the same while you wear during hiking!
Whether you’re lifting weights or running on treadmills, gym wear may still look good while supporting you and boosting your performance during your workout.(1)
We’ll tell you what to wear and what not to wear in the gym for male and female. This will ensure that you are always fully prepared for your workout.
What To Wear In The Gym.
Oddly, gym tops are often wear by beginners which is very wrong. Wearing an old cotton t-shirt with your new gym shorts or joggers may someone find that it is good to go with – but it’s not. In fact, cotton is a poor choice of fabric for workout for many reasons, those are;
- It moistens quickly with sweat and does not remove moisture from your skin, making you feel uncomfortable.
- Sometimes the tops that are designed to wear for workout are heavier, which may create problem during your workout.
- It shows sweat spots faster than some other clothes.
|Read Now: What is Foam Rolling Exercise: Steps, Advantages and Types|
So now you have the right top for the gym, what do you wear in bottom? When choosing what to wear in the gym, you should focus on a few things, those are;
- What type of exercise are you doing, for example, cardio or strength training, etc.?
- How’s the weather? Long sleeve tops may be more suitable during winter, even indoor workouts.
- How long is your gym session going to last? To exercise for a long time, you must avoid long sleeves and opt for a small sleeves to keep yourself cool.
- What are everyone else wearing? Although you don’t need to follow the crowd, to see what other men and women are wearing in the gym means you will be sure to choose active clothes rather than standing out for the wrong reasons.
- There are three main options when it comes to gym bottoms: shorts, sweatpants or track pants. Following are some points that will help you to choose the right outfits for your workout.
Buy Proper Gym Clothes.
Clothes that are flexible, moisture-distorted, temperature-specific or otherwise designed in such way that will help to keep you dry and comfortable while exercising. But not all “performance” clothes are made the same, so make sure you’re getting what you pay for.
Do Not Choose a Cotton T-shirt.
Sometimes we think that cotton clothes are good for workouts, but 100% cotton clothes are not the best option for sweaty workouts.
Cotton absorbs moisture easily, so you will be trapped with a heavy, sticky shirt that can irritate and get cold as soon as you exercise. Also, baggy fabric is actually a safety risk because it can get stuck in a machine.
|Read Now: How To Get Rid of Bra Bulge : Exercises|
Test Your Clothes Before Starting.
Just because a pair of shorts looks good on the rack or fits a top well in the dressing room doesn’t mean it’s suitable for deadlift in the middle of a public gym.
Before you start your workout do some test exercises in your room to make sure that as soon as you bend your back, it doesn’t create any problem.
Many people have an accessory that they never take off – whether it’s a ring, necklace or watch. However, it causing damage by hitting the ornaments with weight or prevent them on the machine, also sweat ingestion can pollute the metal or cause allergies, so leave it at home.
Consider Your Workout.
Different workouts require different clothes, so think about what kind of exercises you will do before you change. If you are going to yoga class, take some leggings or yoga pants, while loose shorts with a compression lining are better for rigid cardio routines that involve jumping too much.
Do Not Wear Your Clothes Again.
Let’s be honest, how often do we wash clothes? Not much. Many of us try to repeat the same clothes what we wear during workouts, but it is not good for health as the sweat which comes out after workout often gets soaked in it and no one wants to smell it.
Choose Your Socks and Shoes Carefully.
It is important to choose shoes that fit you properly and provide you with the support you need for various exercises. For example, running shoes are a poor option for cross-training because they have no lateral support. Poorly fitting socks can also aggravate the problem by rubbing your feet and causing blisters.
Don’t Forget to Change Clothes.
Change your clothes as soon as possible after workout, as sweat which is soaked in the clothes can later create some health issues.
Since they are not usually stretchy, you can tear off your daily clothes if you wear them while exercising, and even injure yourself if you don’t have the right shoes or supportive clothes.
|Read Now: What is Hindu Squat: Advantages, Steps and Precautions|
Keep Your Clothes On.
This appears to be obvious, but usually there is a boy or girl in the gym who gets down immediately when even a little warms up.
Don’t be that person. Whether you’re in the gym or not, always wear clothes, it doesn’t make the gym a place to show that body. Also, taking off your shirt will increase the chances to infected through germs of other people.
Frequently Asked Questions.
1. What to wear to the gym when you are fat?
If you are obese or fat and feeling uncomfortable with tight gym wear then you can go for loose fitting t-shirt and shorts.
2. What to wear to the gym in the winter?
During winter a wicking and tight fitted material is good choice to wear in the gym. However, polyester and silk etc. are also a good choice to wear in winter.
3. What shoes to wear to the gym?
The best shoe to wear to the gym must be comfortable. Cross-fit trainer must choose medium low-drop 5-8, grippy, cotton laced shoe.
Find out a proper and effective wear for your workout is a complicated thing. However, you can easily make the right choice by observing your goal. Choose the right cloth according to your need which will also boost your performance and keep you healthy and fit.
- Experienced in the field of nutrition, health, fitness, and more. She earned Master Degree from National Institute of Nutrition, Hyderabad and currently serving in the Eastern branch of ICMR. View author's certificates.