Before digging into the topic and its facts lets gain some knowledge about turmeric. We all know, turmeric is a herb. It is used predominantly in the form of spices. Turmeric is used in Hinduism worship or as well as in several auspicious work. Apart from those, turmeric is also used to prevent a variety of diseases. At present, research on the properties of turmeric is in progress in all over the world and many researches confirms the qualities mentioned in Ayurveda. However, most of us are unknown about the magical health benefits of waigaon turmeric. So, today we will give you in-depth knowledge about waigaon turmeric and its health benefits.
There are many species of turmeric used as a medicine. Those are;
- Curcuma longa: This species of turmeric is mainly used as spices and medicines. Its plants are grow up to 60-90cm. Color of this turmeric is red or yellow from inside. Such type of turmeric often used to make several dishes.
- Curcuma aromatic: It also known as wild turmeric and very effective for overall wellbeing.
- Curcuma amada: This turmeric powder and leaves smell like camphor and mango. That is why it is called Mango ginger.
- Curcuma caesia: It is also known as black turmeric. According to beliefs, this turmeric has miraculous qualities and also used in astrology and Tantra.
Apart from all those, recently one more turmeric added to this group, that is known as Waigaon turmeric.
It is unique and different from other variety of turmeric. It has a long history since Mughal period. Actually, It was cultivated in Waigaon village in Samudpur tehsil of Wardha district. Due to maximum production of waigaon turmeric the village is also known as “Haldi Waigaon”.
Appearance and Texture.
Due to its high curcumin content waigaon turmeric is dark yellow, which is more than 6%. It is rich in unique flavour, oily ingredients and pleasant aroma and has special medicinal value.
A small amount of waigaon turmeric is enough to increase the colour of the food. It is cultivated in an organic manner.
The texture of waigaon turmeric powder is very soft and the aroma is very shrill, yet attractive. Whole dry turmeric finger sets are very coarse and solid (fleshy).
|Read Now: 12 Health Benefits of Purple Cabbage|
20 Unique Health Benefits & Medicinal Uses of Waigaon Turmeric.
The 20 unique health benefits and medicinal uses of Waigaon Turmeric are:
- HIV Treatment
- Cancer Treatment.
- Neurological Diseases.
- PMS Symptoms Before Menstruation.
- Skin Diseases.
- Liver Detox.
- Antioxidant Properties.
- Anxiety and Depression.
Turmeric is also proved as a potential antiviral agent against human immune deficiency virus (HIV). The antioxidant properties of waigaon turmeric can delay the progression of HIV. In recent studies at the Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research in Bangalore, scientists found that curcumin is effective to suppress the side effects of HIV infected cells.
Curcumin can be used to prepare a combination of drugs to treat HIV infection. It inhibits an enzyme called p300 from playing its normal role of controlling the activity of human genes. Because HIV integrates itself into human genetic material, when p300 stops working, the virus can’t longer spread.
Waigaon turmeric extracts and curcumine have contain anti cancer properties i.e. antineoplastic properties (tumor prevention properties). However, it have limited human studies among various tumor models. Some studies have revealed curcumine can help to reduce or prevent tumor cells from spreading.(1),(2)
It also contains anticancer properties, which can prevent the risk of prostrate, breast and colon cancer.(3) Curcumine capsule is used as a dietary supplement in the treatment of cancer and other diseases. Keep in mind, if someone has cancer, medical treatments should be the first priority.
Turmeric is also helpful in the treatment and prevention of neurological diseases such as Alzheimer’s.(4) Curcumine inhibits the accumulation of destructive beta-amyloids in the brain among the Alzheimer’s patients. It is more effective to prevent the formation of protein fragments than many other drugs being tested to treat Alzheimer’s.
PMS Symptoms Before Menstruation.
Many women face severe pain and abdominal cramps during menstruation. Turmeric can be used to relief from this pain. According to a research in Iran, curcumin has anti-inflammatory properties, which can help to reduce the symptoms of PMS before menstruation.(5) You can use turmeric with milk during menstruation for more benefits.
The use of turmeric can be beneficial in osteoarthritis which is a type of arthritis. According to a research published on the Harvard Medical School website, 139 people, who had a symptoms of osteoarthritis related to knees, were consumed 500mg of curcumin three times a day for a month .(6) As a result they got a lot of relief and it also suppress the symptoms of arthritis.
In fact, turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties that can relieve several other symptoms of arthritis. However, this research has been done in minor levels, so more research is required.
Turmeric has been used for many years to heal light bruising or wounds. It contains antibacterial, wound healing and antiseptic properties, which can help to heal wounds.(7),(8) However, keep in mind that turmeric should be used only for a normal injury or wound, if the wound is serious, give priority to medical therapy.
It purifies and nourishes the blood and skin, so that the brightness of health is enlarged not by smears and impurities, but by clarity.
Generally, turmeric is used as a paste with chick-pea flour, sesame or almond oil, a little fresh cream and honey to clean the patch on the skin and increase the natural glow. It is bitter and anti-inflammatory and used for skin diseases, especially in wet eczema.
Turmeric is beneficial for the problem of inflammation. It was found to be safe in research conducted on humans. At the same time, anti-inflammatory properties were also confirmed in curcumin, which can help to prevent the problem of inflammation.(9)
Obesity can be a serious problem if the growing weight is not controlled at the right time. In a research related to metabolic syndrome like diabetes or heart disease , it is found that the use of curcumin helped the people to maintain their body mass index (BMI) and waist width (waist circumference).(11) In addition, according to another research, curcumin can be helpful to control weight. However, it is necessary to change the lifestyle and diet to stay fit and healthy.(12)
Turmeric can be helpful to extract toxic substances from the liver. According to a research on mice published on the website of NCBI, the detoxification and antioxidant properties of turmeric can help to prevent liver toxicity from mercury toxicity – especially from the use of sea food.(13) Not only that, hepatoprotective properties present in turmeric can help to reduced the risk of liver diseases.(14)
Waigaon turmeric can also help to reduce the risk of diabetes. According to a research it is proved that use of curcumin regularly for 9 months on prediabetic population proved beneficial. It can also reduce the risk of diabetes.(15)
In addition, the anti-diabetic properties of curcumin may also help to reducing the risk of any complication that occurs in diabetes.(16) According to studies, the intake of curcumin up to 12 grams is safe. However, medical advice should also be taken in this condition.(17)
For the body to be healthy, it is necessary to have strong immunity power. Turmeric can be helpful here. In fact, turmeric is rich in anti-inflammatory properties as well as immunomodulatory agent, which affecting immunity power. It can also help to improve the function of various immune cells such as T and B cells. So that the body can fight a variety of diseases such as allergies, asthma, diabetes and heart disease effectively.(18),(19)
Waigaon turmeric has antioxidant properties, so it consider as one of the top health benefits, which can help to keep the body free from free radicals and balance the effect of iron.(20) Turmeric powder as well as its oil also contain antioxidant properties.(21)
According to a study on mice, turmeric is capable to prevent oxidative stress caused by diabetes.(22) Another study claims that the antioxidant properties found in curcumin can increase the memory power of the human beings.(23)
Turmeric is also effective to keep the heart healthy. It has been reported in many studies conducted on animals and humans that the most important ingredient of turmeric is cardio protective properties, which can prevent the risk of heart disease.(24)
At the same time, a study has also found that the use of curcumin among the patients with bypass surgery may reduce the risk of heart attack.(25)
Digestive problems can occur at any time and anyone. Turmeric not only relieve the discomfort of gas and flatulence, but can also effective to relieve irritable syndrome and digestive problems. Not only that, the anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties present in curcumin can also help to reduce the risk of ulcers.(26) Therefore, turmeric helps to keep your digestion balanced.
Anxiety and Depression.
In addition, according to a study it was found that the anti- inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties of the curcuminoids component present in turmeric can help to reduce the symptoms of depression.(28) More researches are still going on.
Many people have been using turmeric as a medicine for many years as a home remedy against cough or colds, as the effectiveness of turmeric is hot. By adding turmeric powder to hot milk, the problem of cough can be reduced to a great extent.(29)
Not only that, due to the anti-inflammatory properties present in turmeric, it can also be effective for bronchial asthma.(30) Keep in mind, if the cough is exist for several days, it is better to take medical advice.
Turmeric is not only effective for healthy skin but it is also helpful in skin problems like psoriasis. Psoriasis starts while crust accumulated on the skin, which causes itching with red patches.(31) Turmeric has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, which can help to quickly heal skin wounds due to psoriasis.(32)
It is also effective on the problem of nail-mumbles. However, no precise scientific research is available, but based on experience of the people, turmeric has been considered effective for the problem of acne. The benefits of turmeric on the skin can be increased while we use it with other ingredients such as besan or multani soil.
You can use coconut oil with turmeric to reduce dandruff, as it can act as an anti-fungal agent.(33) So, that the problem of dandruff and itching can be relieved with the regular use of turmeric.
Other Uses of Waigaon Turmeric for Health Benefits.
- Turmeric powder and even whole turmeric are used in wedding and religious ceremonies.
- The people of ancient India believed that turmeric gives the energy of the divine mother and helps in providing prosperity.
- It is effective to cleanse the chakras (energy center of the body) that purify the channels of the microscopic body.
- Traditionally, turmeric is also used to color wedding clothes. It was believed that any cloth dyed with turmeric was protected from fever.
- Turmeric color extracts can be used as organic food color.
- Turmeric fingers are used to prepare pickles. The pickle made of waigaon turmeric is very tasty and nutritious.
- Can be used as a domestic home face pack.
Side Effects of Waigaon Turmeric.
Waigaon turmeric has some side effects other than health benefits. those are ;
- Due to Oxalate present in turmeric, excessive intake can cause kidney stone problem.
- Can cause stomach problems such as gastrointestinal problems.
- Excessive use of turmeric can lead to iron deficiency in the body, which may increase the risk of anaemia.
- Can cause bleeding problems with vomiting, diarrhea and nausea.
- Also cause headaches and skin rashes.
Last but not least it can be said waigaon turmeric has several health benefits, along with treasure of qualities. The use of turmeric can help and prevent many health problems. You can avail its maximum health benefits if you use it in limited quantity.
Freaktofit has strict sourcing guidelines and relies on peer-reviewed studies, educational research institutes, and medical organizations. We avoid using tertiary references. You can learn more about how we ensure our content is accurate and up-to-date by reading our editorial policy.
- Curcumin and Cancer Cells: How Many Ways Can Curry Kill Tumor Cells Selectively?; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2758121/
- curcumin; https://www.cancer.gov/publications/dictionaries/cancer-drug/def/curcumin
- A Review of Curcumin and Its Derivatives as Anticancer Agents; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6429287/
- The effect of curcumin (turmeric) on Alzheimer’s disease: An overview; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2781139/
- Curcumin attenuates severity of premenstrual syndrome symptoms: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26051565/
- Curcumin for arthritis: Does it really work?; https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/curcumin-for-arthritis-does-it-really-work-2019111218290
- Versatility of turmeric: A review the golden spice of life; https://www.phytojournal.com/archives/2017/vol6issue1/PartA/6-1-17-211.pdf
- Curcumin as a wound healing agent; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25200875/
- Safety and anti-inflammatory activity of curcumin: a component of tumeric (Curcuma longa); https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12676044/
- Curcumin: A Review of Its’ Effects on Human Health; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5664031/
- The Effects of Curcumin on Weight Loss Among Patients With Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6582779/
- Potential role of bioavailable curcumin in weight loss and omental adipose tissue decrease: preliminary data of a randomized, controlled trial in overweight people with metabolic syndrome. Preliminary study; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26592847/
- Detoxification and antioxidant effects of curcumin in rats experimentally exposed to mercury; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20229497/
- Turmeric, the Golden Spice; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK92752/
- Curcumin extract for prevention of type 2 diabetes; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22773702/
- Curcumin: a natural product for diabetes and its complications; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26088351/
- Curcumin and Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: Prevention and Treatment; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6723242/
- “Spicing up” of the immune system by curcumin; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17211725/
- Role of Curcumin in Disease Prevention and Treatment; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5852989/
- Antioxidant availability of turmeric in relation to its medicinal and culinary uses; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15551376/