Do you want to eat rice, however, are scared of obesity? If so, you can replace your white rice with brown rice. It will not only fulfill the cravings but will also help you to lose weight. Also, there are lots of health benefits of brown rice, which we will discuss in this article.
What is Brown Rice?
The natural form of rice without refined is called brown rice. Because of its brown colour, it is called ‘brown rice’. It takes more time to cook than white rice and is slightly different in taste. Also, it has more nutrients than white rice, as it does not undergo any refined or polished process. Only the paddy peels are extracts from it. It gives the body enough healthy calories. However, white rice is high in calorie, which can prove harmful to health.
Health Benefits of Brown Rice.
In brown rice, nutrients such as protein, magnesium, potassium and phosphorus are present in adequate quantities. They are not only beneficial for your health but also beneficial for skin and hair. Lets see what are the all over health benefits of brown rice;
Brown rice contains fiber, which can help to control weight. The fiber is slowly digested, causing you to reduce your appetite and eat less. Doing so also reduces the number of calories and fat in your body.(1)
Increasing the amount of cholesterol in the body can cause heart disease. It is advisable to eat whole grains such as brown rice to control cholesterol.(2) It contains adequate quantities of fiber which helps to digest food slowly and reduce appetite and helps to dissolve slowly in the bloodstream. Also, LDL helps to suppress bad cholesterol levels.
Improve Nervous System.
You may face several problems such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and migraine when the nervous system does not work properly. Magnesium can prove to be an essential nutrient in these disease.(3) Brown rice has a sufficient amount of magnesium and keep your tantric system healthier.
According to scientific research, brown rice can help to control type 2 diabetes. It contains good quantities of fiber, proteins, phytochemicals and minerals. It controls the blood sugar levels in the body, which is beneficial for diabetic patients.(4)
According to research, germination is found in brown rice with gamma-amino butyric acid (GABA) which helps to prevent leukaemia or blood cancer.(5)
According to scientific research, whole grains reduces the likelihood of heart disease by 21 percent. Brown rice is enriched with fiber which regulates the amount of cholesterol in the bloodstream and relieves the problem of heart disease.(6)
Effective For Bones.
Magnesium is a very beneficial mineral for keeping the bones healthy and is found in abundance in brown rice. It helps to increase bone mineral density.(7)
Brown rice is effective to improve immunity power. It contains vitamin E, which acts as an anti-oxidant. It boost immunity power and keeps you healthy and fit.(8)
Fix The Intestines.
Brown rice improves the functioning of the intestines. The bran layer and fiber present on brown rice improves digestive power.(10)
Brown rice contains gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), which relaxes the problem of insomnia caused by stress or intake of excess caffeine.(11)
Brown rice has anti-depression properties, which help to fight stress and brain-related problems. Gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) and glutamine are a type of amino acid that produces neurotransmitters in the brain. These neurotransmitters prevent the effects of stress and sorrow, etc., in the brain.(12)
Effective For Breastfeeding Women.
It is more effective for breastfeeding women. It can relieve stress, fatigue and depression during breastfeeding.(15)
|Read Now: Importance of Colostrum and Its Benefits|
Beneficial For Children.
Brown rice contains enough carbohydrates and fats. Therefore, growing children are advised to feed whole grains and energy-rich food like brown rice.(16)
Protect Against Free Radicals.
Its anti-oxidant properties protect cells from the effects of free-radicals.(17)
Prevents Neuro-Degenerative Complications.
The brain and spinal cord are affected when neuro-degenerative occurs. This disease damage the neurons of the brain, which can causes mental problems. Consumption of Brown rice can prevent these diseases. The benefits of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) prevents neurodegenerative diseases such as Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s.(18)
Nutritional Value of Brown Rice.
Benefits of Brown Rice Proteins.
The amino acids that are found in brown rice helps in the nourishment of blood vessels and helps in improving kidney and liver functions. Protein cystein is particularly high in brown rice which helps in lung health and boost performance in sports and also helps in detoxification of the body.
Benefits of Brown Rice Green Tea.
The benefits of brown rice green tea are:
- Helps in balancing blood sugar level.
- Improves tooth health.
- Helps in reducing risk of cancer and heart health.
- Helps in concentration and relaxation.
- Regulates thyroid and toxins in the body.
How To Use Brown Rice?
It is important to know the correct method of consumption. With the instructions below you can make delicious brown rice;
Brown Rice Recipe (For 4 People).
- 250 g Brown Rice.
- 500 ml of water.
- A saucepan.
- Two teaspoons ghee.
- Keep the water in the saucepan to boil.
- When the water is boiled, pour the brown rice into it and cook for 30 minutes with medium heat.
- When cooked well, turn off the heat and cover the rice for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Then add ghee to the rice and serve.
- You can also make vegetable pulao and mushroom rice with brown rice and can also make kheer with it.
Quantity To Eat.
You should eat brown rice in limited quantity. There is no scientific logic on how much brown rice should be consumed at once.
Sprouted Brown Rice Benefits.
Sprouted brown rice is considered to be most healthiest than white rice it is not only rich in nutrients like vitamins, minerals and dietary fiber but it is also rich in essential amino acids. It also contains bioactive compounds like y-oryzanol, ferulic acid, and gamma aminobutyric acid.
Side Effects of Brown Rice.
Brown rice consist high amount of arsenic, which can create some side effects, which are as follows;
- Nausea, vomiting, headache and diarrhoea.
- Increased arsenic content can cause skin, bladder and lung cancer.
Frequently Asked Questions.
1. Is it ok to eat brown rice daily?
No, eating brown rice daily is not good, because it can increase the amount of arsenic in your body.
2.Is brown rice good for you to lose weight?
Yes, brown rice is very effective for weight loss. It contains fiber and unrefined carbohydrates, which can help to lose weight.
3.Why is brown rice so expensive?
The top layer of brown rice is not extracted and the layer has a small amount of oil, which may cause them to deteriorate quickly. Therefore, these are costlier than white rice.
4. Is basmati brown rice better than regular brown rice?
Both the rice are almost same, but the regular brown rice has a lower sugar content than basmati rice. That is why it is considered to be more nutritious than basmati.
5. Is intake of brown rice twice a day good or not?
Consumption of brown rice have many health benefits as it contains valuable nutrients. However, due to high amount of arsenic it is advised to consume once a day in limited quantity. Excess consumption may causes several health problems like heart disease and cancer.
6. Is brown rice good for urosepsis?
Urosepsis is one kind of urinary tract infection which often an individual faces due to unhygienic lifestyle. Brown rice is one of the most nutritious grain which is good for health. It contains many nutrients and anti-oxidants hence protects urinary bladder from sepsis, infections and other diseases. Thereby, on a limited quantity is good for urosepsis.(21)
Hopefully, you have got full information about the health benefits and nutritional value of brown rice. However, we have also pointed out its disadvantages here, so there is no need to panic. You can take advantage of brown rice by consuming a limited amount of it in your diet.
Freaktofit has strict sourcing guidelines and relies on peer-reviewed studies, educational research institutes, and medical organizations. We avoid using tertiary references. You can learn more about how we ensure our content is accurate and up-to-date by reading our editorial policy.
- Dietary fiber and obesity; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/707393/
- GUIDE TO LOWERING YOUR CHOLESTEROL; https://www.alabamapublichealth.gov/cardio/assets/loweringchol.pdf
- The Role of Magnesium in Neurological Disorders; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6024559/
- Replacing white rice with brown rice or other whole grains may reduce diabetes risk; https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/white-rice-brown-rice-whole-grains-diabetes/
- Effects of germinated brown rice extracts with enhanced levels of GABA on cancer cell proliferation and apoptosis; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15117548/
- Cereals and wholegrain foods; https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/healthyliving/cereals-and-wholegrain-foods
- Essential Nutrients for Bone Health and a Review of their Availability in the Average North American Diet; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3330619/
- Phytochemical Profile of Brown Rice and Its Nutrigenomic Implications; https://www.mdpi.com/2076-3921/7/6/71/htm
- Diet and Asthma: Is It Time to Adapt Our Message?; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5707699/
- Physical changes in white and brown rice during simulated gastric digestion; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22417496/
- Treatment of GABA from Fermented Rice Germ Ameliorates Caffeine-Induced Sleep Disturbance in Mice; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4428720/
- Germinated brown rice as a value added rice product: A review; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3551059/
- Eating, Diet, & Nutrition for Gallstones; https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/digestive-diseases/gallstones/eating-diet-nutrition
- Dietary fiber’s benefit for gallstone disease prevention during rapid weight loss in obese patients; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25020181/
- Pre-germinated brown rice could enhance maternal mental health and immunity during lactation; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17885721/
- Healthy Diet; https://www.nhp.gov.in/healthlyliving/healthy-diet
- Antioxidative Effects of Germinated Brown Rice-Derived Extracts on H2O2-Induced Oxidative Stress in HepG2 Cells; https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2014/371907/
- Altered GABAergic Signaling in Brain Disease at Various Stages of Life; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5491580/