Chlorophyll is a green pigment found in plants and has many health benefits. It serves to nourish plants by absorbing light from the sun rays. It helps plants prepare their food through photosynthesis process. Plants obtain their green colour from chlorophyll.
Chlorophyll is also used for many medical purposes. Nowadays, chlorophyll water is also prevalent as a new health drink.
Let us now dig into details about the health benefits of chlorophyll.
15 Incredible Chlorophyll Benefits.
- Anti-Cancer Properties.
- Anti-Oxidant Properties.
- Protect From Arthritis.
- Detoxifying Properties.
- For Digestive Tract.
- Relieve Anemia.
- Boost Immunity.
- Rapid Lysis Wounds.
- Strengthen Bones.
- Weight Loss.
- Increase Red Blood Cells.
- Increase Flow of Oxygen.
- An Accessory to Arthritis.
- Balance Hormones.
- Anti-Aging Properties.
Chlorophyll for Cancer.
Chlorophyll is considered to be very effective in eliminating the apprehension of colon cancer. According to a study, dietary chlorophyll is a kind of phytochemical.
It works to reduce tumors. It also exclude harmful substances from the body. (1),(2)
|Read Now: How to Counter-strike Cancer with Nutrition.|
Chlorophyll have Anti-Oxidant Properties.
The vitamins found in it have anti-oxidant properties. It protects the body from free radicals by removing oxidative stress. They also protect the body from harmful molecules.(3),(4)
Chlorophyll Protect From Arthritis.
Chlorophyll has anti-inflammatory properties that protect you from arthritis. A study also brought out that chlorophyll also prevents the growth of bacteria that increase inflection.
Chlorophyll have Detoxifying Properties.
It also has the property of removing harmful substances from the body. It exclude harmful chemicals and heavy metals such as mercury from the body.(5)
Chlorophyll For Digestive Tract.
Chlorophyll is also important in streamlining the digestive process. Therefore, the colon disorder can be removed by including green vegetables in the diet. It is also beneficial to use chlorophyll-rich diet to overcome problems like gas and indigestion in the abdomen.(6)
Chlorophyll Relieve Anemia.
Chlorophyll helps to increase blood secretion in the body as well as relieve anemia deficiency. It contains anti-oxidant properties.(7),(8),(9)
Chlorophyll Boost Immunity.
Stress, poor diet and intake of drugs can reduce your immunization. The intake of chlorophyll water protects you from the effects of free radicals. This boosts your immune system. Green leafy vegetables should also be consumed more to increase the immunity of the body.(10),(11)
|Read Now: Immune Boosting Yoga.|
Chlorophyll for Rapid Lysis Wounds.
Some studies have also revealed that chlorophyll is also important in speeding up the wound healing process and strengthens the tissues. Chlorophyll has long been used to fill skin wound. It prevents infection by cleaning wounds and reducing the effect of bacteria when it is on the skin.(12)
Chlorophyll Strengthen Bones.
Chlorophyll should also be included in the diet to strengthen the bones. It is a good source of magnesium, vitamin D and calcium, which strengthen the bones.(13)
Chlorophyll for Weight Loss.
Using chlorophyll water with food makes you less hungry. This helps you to avoid eating more and lose weight. As it low in calorie and contains several healthy nutrients.(14)
|Read Now: GOLO Diet.|
Chlorophyll Increase Red Blood Cells.
Chlorophyll works at the body’s molecules, cellular levels and helps to increase the number of red blood cells in the body.(15)
Chlorophyll Increase Flow of Oxygen.
Chlorophyll increases the flow of oxygen to all organs in the body. This can also remove blood problems. For this, use more green vegetables in the diet.
Chlorophyll for Arthritis.
Chlorophyll has anti-inflammatory properties that help to relieve inflammation in patients with arthritis. Chlorophyll is also used to make arthritis drugs.
Chlorophyll Benefits for Balance Hormones.
It is useful to keep hormones balanced in the body as well as to remove toxins from the body.
Chlorophyll Benefits on Anti-aging Properties.
It acts as an anti-aging agent by streamlining the digestive process. In chlorophyll, beta-carotene is also found in addition with vitamins.(16)
Other Chlorophyll Benefits.
Chlorophyll Benefits for Hair.
There is no medical research on chlorophyll in particular to treat hair loss or improve hair quality. This does not mean that chlorophyll cannot improve hair, just has not been proven yet.
However, chlorophyll can indirectly improves hair quality by providing several mineral in the body. We know that chlorophyll supplements contain magnesium or copper depending on the type of chlorophyll.
Chlorophyllin contains copper, while natural chlorophyll, such as vegetables contains magnesium. Medical research has proved that vitamin and mineral affect hair follicle health, so healthy food supplements like chlorophyll can improve hair quality indirectly.
Chlorophyll Benefits for Skin.
There are many benefits of chlorophyll for skin. But among those the most effective benefits are:
- Reduces acne.
- Helps in healing wound.
- Nourishes the skin.
- Have anti aging factor.
- Reduces wrinkles from the skin.
Chlorophyll Benefits for Menstrual Cycle.
Chlorophyll contain high amount of vitamin K which is effective in blood clotting. Therefore, women who face heavy menstrual bleeding, doctors prescribe chlorophyll to them to control heavy blood flow.
Best Liquid Chlorophyll.
The best liquid chlorophyll always comes from herbs and veggies. Thereby, as per Oregon University, one cup of raw spinach contains 24gm of chlorophyll. On the other parsley has about 19gm of chlorophyll per cup. To make parsley in liquid chlorophyll form you can add water and blend into a juice.
Where to Buy Liquid Chlorophyll?
Now, anyone can buy liquid chlorophyll from anywhere through online mode like amazon, flipkart and indiamart etc.
Side Effects of Chlorophyll.
The following side effects of Chlorophyll have been observed based on several research;
- Burning of skin.
- Stiffness in the chest.
Severe Interaction of Chlorophyll with Other Drugs.
Taking Chlorophyll with these medicines may cause serious side effects. If you have any kind of diseases, do not take Chlorophyll as it may worsen your condition. If your doctor understands appropriately, you can take Chlorophyll despite suffering from diseases.
Frequently Asked Questions.
1. Is the use of Chlorophyll okay for pregnant women?
No, Chlorophyll can have side effects for pregnant women. If you observe this, then consult with your doctor immediately. So, it is recommended not to use during pregnancy.
2. Is the use of Chlorophyll okay for breastfeeding women?
There is no opinion has been found till date from any expert on the effects of Chlorophyll on breastfeeding women. Therefore, use it only after the doctor’s advice.
3. What is the consequence of Chlorophyll on the kidneys?
Chlorophyll does not have any side effects on kidney.
4. What is the impact of Chlorophyll on the liver?
Chlorophyll does not cause any side effects on the liver.
5. What is the consequence of Chlorophyll on the Heart?
Chlorophyll has no side effects on the heart.
6. Can Chlorophyll become a habit or addiction?
No, Chlorophyll taking is not addictive. However, use Chlorophyll only on doctor’s advice if needed.
7. Is it safe to drive or operate any large machine while taking Chlorophyll?
Yes, you can use chlorophyll to operate any large machine or vehicle.
8. Is Chlorophyll safe?
Yes, Chlorophyll is totally safe and healthy option, as it have many health benefits like, Anti-Cancer Properties, Anti-Oxidant Properties, Protect from Arthritis, Detoxifying Properties, Relieve Anemia, Boost Immunity and many more, but before consumption it is necessary to consult with your doctor.
9. Can Chlorophyll be used in treating psychological disorders or mental problems?
No, Chlorophyll is not able to treat mental disorders.
10. Does taking Chlorophyll with certain foods have a negative effect?
No, it is safe to take Chlorophyll with food. You can include it with your daily diet.
11. What is the negative effect of drinking alcohol when taking Chlorophyll?
It is not known about the effect of Chlorophyll. Because research on this subject has not yet been done. Therefore, take this medicine only after consulting the doctor.
12. Which term describes ATP production resulting from the capture of light energy by chlorophyll?
The term that describes ATP production resulting from the capture of light energy by chlorophyll is Photophosphorylation.
Chlorophyll is an excellent source of nutrients and has many health benefits. Chlorophyll remove anemia deficiency. It has anti-oxidant properties. Chlorophyll is also important in eliminating kidney stone, cancer and teeth problems. It also helps in block-rolling and accelerates the process of wound healing.
Green leafy vegetables should also be consumed more to increase the immunity of the body. The nutrients found in such vegetables also increase the level of energy in the body with the power to fight diseases. A diet containing chlorophyll should also be used to remove the smell of the breath.
Therefore, you must consume chlorophyll either from green vegetables or through supplementation in regular basis with the advice of doctor.
Freaktofit has strict sourcing guidelines and relies on peer-reviewed studies, educational research institutes, and medical organizations. We avoid using tertiary references. You can learn more about how we ensure our content is accurate and up-to-date by reading our editorial policy.
- Cancer chemoprevention by dietary chlorophylls: A 12,000-animal dose-dose matrix biomarker and tumor study; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3486520/
- Medicinal Uses of Chlorophyll: A Critical Overview; https://www.researchgate.net/publication/283502487_Medicinal_Uses_of_Chlorophyll_A_Critical_Overview
- Antioxidant activity of chlorophylls and their derivatives.; https://europepmc.org/article/AGR/IND43741093
- Chlorophyll enhances oxidative stress tolerance in Caenorhabditis elegans and extends its lifespan; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4830245/
- Determination of triterpenoids, carotenoids, chlorophylls, and antioxidant capacity in Allium ursinum L. at different times of harvesting and anatomical parts; https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00217-018-3042-3
- Non-specific inhibition of cytochrome P450 activities by chlorophyllin in human and rat liver microsomes; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7788866/
- Chlorophyllin Modulates Gut Microbiota and Inhibits Intestinal Inflammation to Ameliorate Hepatic Fibrosis in Mice; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6288434/
- Anti-anemia Effect of Chlorophyll from Katuk (Sauropus androgynus) Leaves on Female Mice Induced Sodium Nitrite; https://www.phcogj.com/sites/default/files/10.5530pj.2016.4.10.pdf
- EFFECT OF ADMINISTRATION OF CHLOROPHYLL DERIVATIVES TO PATIENTS WITH CHRONIC HYPOCHROMIC ANEMIA; https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/article-abstract/541212
- Investigations of the Role of Iron in Chlorophyll Metabolism I. Effect of Iron Deficiency on Chlorophyll and Heme Content and on the Activities of Certain Enzymes in Leaves; https://watermark.silverchair.com/plphys_v38_6_632.pdf?
- Nutritional value and impact of wheatgrass juice (Green Blood Therapy) on increasing fertility in male albino rats; https://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/s42269-020-0272-x
- Pheophytin a and Chlorophyll a Identified from Environmentally Friendly Cultivation of Green Pepper Enhance Interleukin-2 and Interferon-γ in Peyer’s Patches ex Vivo; https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/bpb/36/11/36_b13-00302/_html/-char/en
- Chlorophyll and wound healing; experimental and clinical study; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15425708/
- Magnesium and Osteoporosis: Current State of Knowledge and Future Research Directions; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3775240/
- From weight loss to healthy skin: Liquid chlorophyll is the latest health buzz; https://indianexpress.com/article/lifestyle/health/liquid-chlorophyll-benefits-5547140/
- Chlorophyll and Blood Regeneration; http://www.pkdiet.com/pdf/HemeVsChlorophyll.pdf