15 Incredible Health Benefits of Chlorophyll
Chlorophyll is a green pigment found in plants. It serves to nourish plants by absorbing light from the sun rays. It helps plants prepare their food through photosynthesis process. Plants obtain their green colour from chlorophyll.
Chlorophyll is also used for many medical purposes. Nowadays, chlorophyll water is also prevalent as a new health drink.
Let us now dig into details about the health benefits of chlorophyll.
15 Incredible Health Benefits of Chlorophyll.
- Anti-Cancer Properties.
- Anti-Oxidant Properties.
- Protect From Arthritis.
- Detoxifying Properties.
- For Digestive Tract.
- Relieve Anemia.
- Boost Immunity.
- Rapid Lysis Wounds.
- Strengthen Bones.
- Weight Loss.
- Increase Red Blood Cells.
- Increase Flow of Oxygen.
- An Accessory to Arthritis.
- Balance Hormones.
- Anti-Aging Properties.
Chlorophyll is considered to be very effective in eliminating the apprehension of colon cancer. According to a study, dietary chlorophyll is a kind of phytochemical. It works to reduce tumors. It also exclude harmful substances from the body. (1),(2)
Protect From Arthritis.
Chlorophyll has anti-inflammatory properties that protect you from arthritis. A study also brought out that chlorophyll also prevents the growth of bacteria that increase inflection.
It also has the property of removing harmful substances from the body. It exclude harmful chemicals and heavy metals such as mercury from the body.(7)
For Digestive Tract.
Chlorophyll is also important in streamlining the digestive process. Therefore, the colon disorder can be removed by including green vegetables in the diet. It is also beneficial to use chlorophyll-rich diet to overcome problems like gas and indigestion in the abdomen.(8)
Click here to know about the Nutritional Management of GERD.
Stress, poor diet and intake of drugs can reduce your immunization. The intake of chlorophyll water protects you from the effects of free radicals. This boosts your immune system. Green leafy vegetables should also be consumed more to increase the immunity of the body.(12),(13)
Rapid Lysis Wounds.
Some studies have also revealed that chlorophyll is also important in speeding up the wound healing process and strengthens the tissues. Chlorophyll has long been used to fill skin wound. It prevents infection by cleaning wounds and reducing the effect of bacteria when it is on the skin.(14)
Increase Red Blood Cells.
Chlorophyll works at the body’s molecules, cellular levels and helps to increase the number of red blood cells in the body.(17)
Increase Flow of Oxygen.
Chlorophyll increases the flow of oxygen to all organs in the body. This can also remove blood problems. For this, use more green vegetables in the diet.
An Accessory to Arthritis.
Chlorophyll has anti-inflammatory properties that help to relieve inflammation in patients with arthritis. Chlorophyll is also used to make arthritis drugs.
It is useful to keep hormones balanced in the body as well as to remove toxins from the body.
It acts as an anti-aging agent by streamlining the digestive process. In chlorophyll, beta-carotene is also found in addition with vitamins.(18)
Side Effects of Chlorophyll.
The following side effects of Chlorophyll have been observed based on several research;
- Burning of skin.
- Tightness in the chest.
Severe Interaction of Chlorophyll with Other Drugs.
Taking Chlorophyll with these medicines may cause serious side effects. If you have any kind of diseases, do not take Chlorophyll as it may worsen your condition. If your doctor understands appropriately, you can take Chlorophyll despite suffering from diseases.
Frequently Asked Questions.
1. Is the use of Chlorophyll okay for pregnant women?
No, Chlorophyll can have side effects for pregnant women. If you observe this, then consult with your doctor immediately. So, it is recommended not to use during pregnancy.
2. Is the use of Chlorophyll okay for breastfeeding women?
There is no opinion has been found till date from any expert on the effects of Chlorophyll on breastfeeding women. Therefore, use it only after the doctor’s advice.
3. What is the consequence of Chlorophyll on the kidneys?
Chlorophyll does not have any side effects on kidney.
4. What is the impact of Chlorophyll on the liver?
Chlorophyll does not cause any side effects on the liver.
5. What is the consequence of Chlorophyll on the Heart?
Chlorophyll has no side effects on the heart.
6. Can Chlorophyll become a habit or addiction?
No, Chlorophyll taking is not addictive. However, use Chlorophyll only on doctor’s advice if needed.
7. Is it safe to drive or operate any large machine while taking Chlorophyll?
Yes, you can use chlorophyll to operate any large machine or vehicle.
8. Is Chlorophyll safe?
Yes, Chlorophyll is totally safe and healthy option, as it have many health benefits like, Anti-Cancer Properties, Anti-Oxidant Properties, Protect from Arthritis, Detoxifying Properties, Relieve Anemia, Boost Immunity and many more, but before consumption it is necessary to consult with your doctor.
9. Can Chlorophyll be used in treating psychological disorders or mental problems?
No, Chlorophyll is not able to treat mental disorders.
10. Does taking Chlorophyll with certain foods have a negative effect?
No, it is safe to take Chlorophyll with food. You can include it with your daily diet.
11. What is the negative effect of drinking alcohol when taking Chlorophyll?
It is not known about the effect of Chlorophyll. Because research on this subject has not yet been done. Therefore, take this medicine only after consulting the doctor.
Chlorophyll is an excellent source of nutrients and has many health benefits. Chlorophyll remove anemia deficiency. It has anti-oxidant properties. Chlorophyll is also important in eliminating kidney stone, cancer and teeth problems. It also helps in block-rolling and accelerates the process of wound healing.
Green leafy vegetables should also be consumed more to increase the immunity of the body. The nutrients found in such vegetables also increase the level of energy in the body with the power to fight diseases. A diet containing chlorophyll should also be used to remove the smell of the breath.
Therefore, you must consume chlorophyll either from green vegetables or through supplementation in regular basis with the advice of doctor.
1. M. J Tammie, S. T Michael, P. M. Margaret, P. B Cliff, H. D Jerry, D. H Roderick, W. E David and B. S George; Food Chem Toxicol. 2012 Feb; 50(2): 341–352. Published online 2011 Nov 3. doi: 10.1016/j.fct.2011.10.065; Cancer chemoprevention by dietary chlorophylls: A 12,000-animal dose-dose matrix biomarker and tumor study; Retrieved from
2. C H Yun, H G Jeong, J W Jhoun, F P Guengerich; Carcinogenesis . 1995 Jun;16(6):1437-40. doi: 10.1093/carcin/16.6.1437.; Non-specific inhibition of cytochrome P450 activities by chlorophyllin in human and rat liver microsomes; Retrieved from
3. Han Zheng, Yang You, Meiyun Hua, Pengfei Wu, Yu Liu, Zishuo Chen, Li Zhang, Haoche Wei,Yan Li, Mei Luo, Yilan Zeng, Yong Liu, Dong-Xia Luo, Jie Zhang, Min Feng, Richard Hu, Stephen J. Pandol, and Yuan-Ping Han; Front Physiol. 2018; 9: 1671. Published online 2018 Dec 4. doi: 10.3389/fphys.2018.01671; Chlorophyllin Modulates Gut Microbiota and Inhibits Intestinal Inflammation to Ameliorate Hepatic Fibrosis in Mice; Retrieved from
4. Myoung-Yun Pyo, Bo-kyung Park, Jeong June Choi, Mihi Yang, Hyun Ok Yang, Jin Wook Cha, Jin-Cheol Kim, In Seon Kim, Hyang Burm Lee, Mirim Jin; 2013 Volume 36 Issue 11 Pages 1747-1753, DOI https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.b13-00302; Pheophytin a and Chlorophyll a Identified from Environmentally Friendly Cultivation of Green Pepper Enhance Interleukin-2 and Interferon-γ in Peyer’s Patches ex Vivo; Retrieved from
5. Lifestyle Desk; New Delhi; January 20, 2019 3:47:32 pm; From weight loss to healthy skin: Liquid chlorophyll is the latest health buzz;