Unlike other fruits pomegranate is also one of the most nutritious fruit. Its small pearl like seed and sweet juicy tastes attract most of the people. Pomegranate not only great in taste but also rich in nutrients which are good for health. Today, in this article we will tell you about one variety of pomegranate i.e., Solapur pomegranate and its health benefits.
What is Solapur Pomegranate?
It is basically a type of pomegranate found in India at Maharashtra (Solapur). The team of ICAR has researched and modified Solapur pomegranate with more nutrients and taste.
Appearance And Texture.
It is dark red colour, weighing around 40-41gm and size of seed is medium. Solapur pomegranate is also called Solapur Lal or Solapur Dry. The growing season of this variety is from November to March. Pomegranates were grown in Solapur in 10th century and during 14th century Solapur got the status of an independent state of India.
This variety is suitable for all age groups. Fruits are sweet but deep red and it is high in vitamin C and E. It is low in fat, cholesterol and maintains an ideal blood sugar level.
Solapur Pomegranate is a part of a healthy diet. According to the research, pomegranate juice helps to reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke. It is a rich source of betaine, gallic acid, and kaempferol. Now let’s know about its Health Benefits.
Health Benefits of Solapur Pomegranate.
Medicinal properties present in it makes it useful for health as well as skin and hair. Some other health benefits of Solapur pomegranate are:
- Maintain Cardiovascular Health.
- Beneficial For Digestive System.
- Control Diabetes.
- Helpful In Pregnancy.
- Reduce The Risk of Cancer.
- Enhance Immunity.
- Strengthen Bones.
- Control Blood Pressure.
- Beneficial During Menstruation.
- Help In Weight Loss.
- Protect Bacteria And Fungus.
- Relief In Kidney Stone Problem.
- Fatty Liver Problems.
- Improve Sexual Ability.
- Assisting In Alzheimer’s.
- Useful For Skin.
- Effective For Hair.
Maintain Cardiovascular Health.
According to a study by advanced biomedical research, it is proved that intake of pomegranate prove to be a better option for maintaining cardiovascular health. Another research published by the NCBI, it is proved that regular consumption can prevent the accumulation of fat in the arteries.
In addition, research has also assumed that using pomegranates can also helps to control cholesterol level. However, pomegranate seed oil has also numerous health benefits. This oil can help to control the entire lipid profile.(1) Therefore, pomegranate seed also effective for heart disease.
Beneficial For Digestive System.
Pomegranates also contain fiber and other essential nutrients, which are essential for a good digestive system. If pomegranates are consumed in an adequate amount, the problem like constipation can be relieved. In addition, pomegranates also have anti-inflammatory properties, which can help to cure the problem encountered in the gastrointestinal tract such as ulcerative colitis.
The gastrointestinal tract is an important part of the digestive system in the human body. Also, pomegranates are found to have an anti-helicobacter pylori effect. Helicobacter pylori is a type of bacteria found in the abdomen. It can affect the digestive system.(2),(3) Despite all these scientific evidences, the properties of pomegranates need to be further researched in respect of the digestive system.
Pomegranates are also effective in the problem of diabetes. Because it contain allelic, Gaelic and oleanolic acids etc. Due to these acids, pomegranates act as a antidiabetic (blood sugar lowering) fruit. In particular, the sugar present in pomegranate juice can also help to control blood sugar. All these qualities of pomegranates have been mentioned in research by NCBI.(4) On this basis, it can be assumed that using pomegranates can help to control diabetes.
Helpful In Pregnancy.
The pregnancy period is considered sensitive for every woman. In the meantime, the slightest negligence can prove to be detrimental to both mother and child. According to research published on the NCBI website, the use of pomegranates during pregnancy can prove to be beneficial for a pregnant woman. This can reduce the risk of damage of placenta.(5)
Pomegranate has antioxidant properties, which can protect the placenta during pregnancy. It also contains folate which is essential for the health of a pregnant woman and a baby in the womb. So, it can be assumed that regular intake of pomegranate during pregnancy can prove to be beneficial.(6) Pregnancy is a delicate halt, so nothing should be consumed without the advice of the doctor at such times.
Reduce The Risk of Cancer.
It is also act as a preventive measure for cancer. The two separate researches on pomegranates make this very clear. Research mentions that, this fruit exhibits anti-cancer properties due to polyphenols present in pomegranates. It is also believed that polyphenols in pomegranates can reduce the growth of cancer- causing malignant tumors.(7)
Another research related to pomegranates found that it’s anticancer properties is effective to protect against prostate cancer.(8) So, pomegranates can be used to protect against cancer.
Antioxidant, antibacterial and antiviral properties found in pomegranate can boost immunity power. According to a research published in NCBI proved that pomegranate can help to fight against various kind of bacteria and viruses.(9)
Another research has also proved that pomegranate seed oil can boost the functionality of beta cells, which is helps to boost immunity power.(10)
If someone is suffering from bone and joint pain, pomegranates is a good remedy for them. It have anti-inflammatory properties, which can prove to be beneficial in disease like arthritis. Based on a research paper on the NCBI website, it is confirmed that pomegranate can reduce joint pain and swelling. Also destroy enzymes that cause arthritis.(11)
Control Blood Pressure.
As mentioned earlier, pomegranates have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It also has an antihypertensive effect (blood pressure control). Pomegranates can be beneficial to control blood pressure level. It help to eliminate bad cholesterol from the body and generate good cholesterol. Also prevent any obstruction of the arteries. That is why, doctors also recommend to drink a glass of pomegranate juice on daily basis to control blood pressure level.(12)
Pomegranate has anti-inflammatory properties. It assist to eliminate inflammation related to the stomach. According to a research it is proved that, it can reduce various physical problems caused by inflammation.(13) Not only that, pomegranates can also proved effective to relieve inflammation of the joints caused by arthritis.
Beneficial During Menstruation.
Some scientific research has proved that women who consume pomegranates can get relief from various problems that occur during menstruation, such as excess bleeding and abnormal size of the uterus etc. Also, problems associated with the uterus can be overcome to some extent.(14)
In addition, pomegranate is the main source of fiber, which can also cure yeast infection. It gives the fungus a chance to flourish by eliminating it from the root. Women often have a problem of anemia because of periods. Iron-rich pomegranates can help to overcome this problem. Ayurveda also describes this merit of pomegranates.(15)
Help In Weight Loss.
Pomegranate can also prove to be beneficial for people who try to lose weight. Research published on the NCBI website mentions that pomegranates and its extracts can help to reduce weight.(16) A research on pomegranate leaves proved that it has a potential to reduce appetite. This can prevent excessive weight gain due to imbalanced diet.(17)
Protect Bacteria And Fungus.
Pomegranate can also be used to prevent bacterial and fungal infection. Two different researches on pomegranates confirm this. According to food and nutrition research, pomegranate juice has antimicrobial properties. Due to this property pomegranate can reduce the effect of microscopic bacteria.(18)
According to the Brazilian Journal of Microbiology, pomegranate seeds and its peel have antifungal (fungus destroying) properties.(19)
Relief In Kidney Stone Problem.
People suffering from kidney stones can also use pomegranates to get relief. It is proved by a research of International Journal of Molecular Sciences. Another research available on the NCBI website mentions that pomegranates are found to have anti-hypercalciuria (controlling calcium) and anti-urolithiasis (preventing the process of stone formation).(20)
On this basis, it can be assumed that intake of pomegranate can prove to be beneficial in the kidney stone problem. Of course, here we have given scientific evidence that pomegranate is beneficial for kidney problems, but you should use with doctor’s advice.
Fatty Liver Problems.
Two separate researches of NCBI carried out on mice have believed that, the use of pomegranates can reduce oxidative stress and inflammation in the body. As a result it can reduce the excess fat accumulated in the liver. According to experts, daily intake may reduce the problem of fatty liver.(21) Also, pomegranate can help to improve the function of the liver even if jaundice occurs.(22) However, more research is required to know its impact on humans.
Improve Sexual Ability.
Erectile dysfunction is a problem related to men. It affects the sexual ability of a man due to intravenous looseness. Intake of pomegranate can also prove beneficial for individuals suffering from this problem.
A research conducted on mice makes it clear that pomegranate juice has an antioxidant effect, which can bring some relief from erectile dysfunction. This has been mentioned in the research paper available on the website of NCBI(23).
Assisting In Alzheimer’s.
Alzheimer’s is a neurological disorder that arises due to oxidative stress. This disease especially affects the elderly people. It reduces the memory of the elderly with growing age. The use of pomegranate juice can improve the condition among those who are suffering from this problem.
According to a research available on the NCBI website, pomegranate juice contains powerful antioxidant properties. Because of this, pomegranate juice can prove to be effective to reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s by reducing oxidative stress.
Neuroprotective effects are also found in pomegranate. This effect can help to boost the memory of a person by improving the deteriorating working style of the nervous system.(24)
Useful For Skin.
According to a research it is proved that pomegranates are beneficial for the skin. Research mentions that using pomegranates helps to remove skin-related inflammation, effect of growing age and bacterial infections. It can also be used to apply for a better effect on the skin.(25)
Effective For Hair.
There is no clear scientific evidence has still found on the effects of pomegranate on hair. Yet some research on pomegranates indicates that it can reduce the stress on the hair.(26) Also eradicate the problem of hair loss caused by anemia.(27)
It is also believed that it can act as an antioxidant due to presence of polyphenols and tannins. This property can protect the color of natural or dried hair from the sun’s UVA (ultraviolet-A) rays.(28)
Nutritional Values of Solapur Pomegranate
|Nutrients||Mg Per 100gm|
*Source: ICAR- NRC on Pomegranate.
Side Effects of Solapur Pomegranate.
Apart from health benefits of Solapur pomegranate, excessive intake may cause some side effects, which are as follows;
- It has the property of reducing blood sugar. Therefore, people who take diabetes medication should be careful to drink pomegranate juice. Using it with the drug can be raise problem of low blood sugar.
- Pomegranate also cause allergies. Therefore, people who complain of allergies to certain foods should be careful to intake pomegranates.(29)
It is a really one of the most delicious fruit. But still many people in this world have limited knowledge about pomegranate and they think that there is no information available in the modern world. So, in this article we told you about the health benefits of Solapur pomegranate and why you should eat this.
Freaktofit has strict sourcing guidelines and relies on peer-reviewed studies, educational research institutes, and medical organizations. We avoid using tertiary references. You can learn more about how we ensure our content is accurate and up-to-date by reading our editorial policy.
- Potent health effects of pomegranate; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4007340/
- Investigation of Supra Fiber in the Treatment of Adults With Constipation; https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01288508
- A Review on the Anti-Inflammatory Activity of Pomegranate in the Gastrointestinal Tract; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3612487/
- Pomegranate and type 2 diabetes; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23684435/
- Pomegranate juice and punicalagin attenuate oxidative stress and apoptosis in human placenta and in human placental trophoblasts; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3361977/
- Pomegranate juice, bottled; https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/167787/nutrients
- Potential Antitumor Effects of Pomegranates and Its Ingredients; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5628519/
- Pomegranate Extracts and Cancer Prevention: Molecular and Cellular Activities; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4052369/
- The Pomegranate: Effects on Bacteria and Viruses That Influence Human Health; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3671682/
- Dietary effect of pomegranate seed oil on immune function and lipid metabolism in mice; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16226015/
- Consumption of pomegranate decreases serum oxidative stress and reduces disease activity in patients with active rheumatoid arthritis: a pilot study; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21910371/
- Effects of pomegranate juice on blood pressure: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27888156/
- Pomegranate peel and fruit extracts: A review of potential anti-inflammatory and anti-infective effects; https://pubag.nal.usda.gov/catalog/549749
- Evaluation of efficacy of Punica granatum L. (Persian gulnar) on uterine leiomyoma related menorrhagia: a pilot study; http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.736.815&&rep=rep1&&type=pdf
- Pomegranate juice improves iron status and ameliorates iron deficiency induced cellular changes in saccharomyces cerevisiae; https://eprints.manipal.edu/144507/
- Obesity: the preventive role of the pomegranate (Punica granatum); https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22342388/
- Evidence of anti-obesity effects of the pomegranate leaf extract in high-fat diet induced obese mice; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17299386/
- Antibacterial activity of fresh pomegranate juice against clinical strains of Staphylococcus epidermidis; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4440876/
- Antifungal activity of the ethanolic extracts of Punica granatum L. and evaluation of the morphological and structural modifications of its compounds upon the cells of Candida spp; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3910198/
- Dietary Plants for the Prevention and Management of Kidney Stones: Preclinical and Clinical Evidence and Molecular Mechanisms; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5877626/
- Pomegranate juice prevents development of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in rats by attenuating oxidative stress and inflammation; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27717115/
- The protective effects of pomegranate on liver and remote organs caused by experimental obstructive jaundice model; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26957283/
- Pomegranate juice causes a partial improvement through lowering oxidative stress for erectile dysfunction in streptozotocin-diabetic rat; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27581707/
- Pomegranate Juice Augments Memory and fMRI Activity in Middle-Aged and Older Adults with Mild Memory Complaints; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3736548/
- The Effect of Pomegranate on Aging and Inflammation of the Skin (PomSkin); https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02258776
- Pomegranate (Punica granatum L.): A medicinal plant with myriad biological properties – A short review; https://academicjournals.org/journal/JMPR/article-full-text-pdf/46EEE0023212
- Medicinal Values of Pomegranate (Madhulai) – Siddha View; http://iosrphr.org/papers/vol8-issue6/Version-2/E0806023438.pdf
- Efficacy of Punica granatum L. hydroalcoholic extract on properties of dyed hair exposed to UVA radiation; https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23380541/
- Anaphylactic reactions to pomegranate: identification and characterization of eliciting IgE-reactive components; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3354222/