As soon as you hear the name of lemon grass, you must have a picture of green grass in your mind. At the same time, you may be wondering how grass can be beneficial for health? Make it clear to you that we are talking about lemon grass, not about green grass. You will be amazed to hear about the medicinal properties of lemon grass. It can help to get rid of many diseases from head to toe. If you do not know what lemon grass is and what are the health benefits of lemon grass, you must read this article. In this article you will learn about its amazing and evidence based health benefits and its use. Also, we will tell you about the side effects of lemon grass.
What is Lemon Grass?
Lemon grass is a medicinal plant, especially found in South-East Asia. It resembles grass, just its length is more than the common grass. It smells like lemon and is mostly used as ginger in tea. The medicinal properties of lemon grass such as anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal etc.
protect you from a variety of diseases and infections. Lemon grass oil is also used as a medicine. About 75 per cent of the citrus is found, which makes its fragrance also like lemon. Lemon grass oil is also used in beauty products and beverages.(1)
Uses and Health Benefits of Lemon Grass.
There are several health benefits of lemon grass. Then lets see what are the health benefits of lemon grass;
- Increase Immunity.
- Control Cholesterol.
- Increase Digestive Power.
- Lose Weight.
- Provide Better Sleep.
- Respiratory Disorder.
- Nervous System.
- Reduce Aches.
Lemon grass has diuretic properties.(2) Using it may require you to urinate again and again, which is good for your kidneys. This will eliminate toxins of your body through urination and your kidneys will be healthy. In addition, appendicitis drugs also have diuretic properties that plays a vital role in removing kidney stone.(3)
The medicinal properties of lemon grass can increase your immunity. It also has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory properties, which can protect you from a variety of infections and diseases.(4) In addition, vitamins and minerals present in it can promote the immune system.(5), (6)
Increasing the amount of cholesterol in the body increases the risk of stroke and heart disease.(7) The medicinal properties of lemon grass can reduce cholesterol levels in the body and protect you from them. According to a scientific study, intake of lemon grass oil can reduce cholesterol levels in the blood.(8)
Lemon grass and lemon grass oil are found to have anti-cancer properties, which help to reduce the risk of cancer by eliminating cancer cells.(9) In addition, you can also drink lemon grass tea (10) to eliminate cancer cells.
Increase Digestive Power.
The properties of lemon grass can also help to increase your digestive power. In addition, the anti-oxidant properties present in it protect against oxidative stress and can prevent stomach ulcers and other stomach problems.(11)
Rheumatoid arthritis is a problem that leads to joint pain, swelling and stiffness. This problem is common at the age of 30-60 years. If you are also suffering from arthritis, lemon grass oil can be beneficial for you.
It has anti-inflammatory properties that can relieve you from arthritis symptoms.(12) To get comfort you can massage the affected place by a few drops of lemon grass oil.
Lemongrass Tea for Weight Loss.
Diuretic Properties in lemon grass can detoxify the body and remove toxins from the body through urine. It is believed that detoxification can help you to lose weight.(13) At the moment, there is no concrete evidence is available on the advantages of lemon grass to lose weight and more research is needed.
Provide Better Sleep.
If you are suffering from insomnia, you can use lemon grass oil. It has sedative properties, which will provide you better sleep. You can put a few drops of lemon grass oil in the diffuser and take aromatherapy.
Lemon grass contains magnesium found which can provide you relief from stress. In fact, research has found that magnesium deficiency can increase stress related problems such as headaches, insomnia, fatigue, over-emotionality and anxiety etc.(15)
Lemon grass contains sufficient quantities of magnesium. You can also take aromatherapy with lemon grass oil to relieve stress and anxiety.(16) At present, it needs more research.
If you are suffering from diabetes, the properties of lemon grass can help you. Lemon grass and its flowers are traditionally being used to treat diabetes. It has anti-diabetic properties, which can help you to control the level of blood sugar.(17)
|Read Now: 6 Incredible Yoga Poses For Diabetes|
Lemon grass has been used since the time of Ayurveda to remove diseases like colds. It contains vitamin C which is useful for reducing respiratory problems.
It has anti-septic properties that eliminate bacteria and parasites and make digestion good. Therefore, the use of lemon grass is beneficial for good digestion. Its intake eradicate the problems of diarrhea, flatulence, abdominal pain and vomiting.
The nutrients of lemon grass may be beneficial for the nervous system. In fact, magnesium is found in it , which can protect against neurodegenerative diseases.(18) In neurodegenerative disease, neurons of the brain start to be destroyed.
The medicinal properties of lemon grass can protect you from allergic asthma. It has anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic properties, which prevent infected cells from entering your lungs and can prove beneficial in protecting you from allergic asthma.(19)
|Read Now: 5 Effective Yoga Mudras To Cure Asthma|
Lemongrass Benefits For Skin.
The properties of lemon grass provide you an immaculate and pimple-free skin. It has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, which fight against pimples and infection-spreading germs and eliminate them from the root. In addition, it also has antioxidant properties, which reduce the oxidative stress and prevent the enlargement of the mouth.(20)
It helps in reducing headaches and pain caused by migraine. The phyto-nutrients present in it increase blood circulation and relax the muscles and reduce the pain.
With the help of this table, find out what nutrients are found in lemon grass.
|Nutrient Content||Per 100gm|
|Vitamin C||2.6 mg|
|Pantothenic Acid||0.050 mg|
|Vitamin B6||0.080 mg|
|Folate DFE||75 micrograms|
|Vitamin A IU6 IU|
|Fatty Acids Total Saturated||0.119 g|
|Fatty Acids Total Monounsaturated||0.054 g|
|Fatty Acids Total Polyunsaturated||0.170 g|
How to Use Lemon Grass For Maximum Health Benefits?
Lemon grass tastes similar to lemon. It is specially used in Thai and continental cooking. You can use lemon grass in several ways, such as;
- You can make its tea like green tea or can also be used like cardamom.
- While making chicken, you can cut a little lemon grass into it. It will give the chicken a different flavor.
- You can make lemon grass soup or can also put a little lemon grass in tomato soup.
- Put ice in lemon grass tea and make its iced lemon grass tea.
- You can use it to make vegetables by making lemon grass paste.
- You can use lemon grass instead of lemon Zest in food.
When To Use Lemongrass?
- You can use lemon grass tea in the morning and evening.
- It can also be used in lunch or dinner.
How Much Lemongrass Tea Should I drink?
- You can add one or two lemon grass leaves to make the tea.
- You can also add lemon grass (8-10 leaves) in cooking for taste, but use it in limited quantities.
*Note: Keep in mind that use fresh lemon grass. Before use, cut the piece under its stalk and remove the dried leaves. You can use lemon grass leaves to make tea.
Side Effects of Lemon Grass.
It is safe to use, but consuming a large amount of it may causes several side effects. Here are some side effects of Lemon Grass;
- To feel giddy.
- Over appetite.
- Dry mouth.
Side Effects of Lemon Grass Oil.
- Respiratory Tract Infection.
- Skin irritation and rashes.
- Eye irritation from going into the eyes.
- Problems in the digestive system by swallowing.
*Note: There is no scientific evidence available of the side effects of lemon grass. All its side effects are based on people’s experiences. So, if you have any health problems, take doctor’s advice.
Now you may have understood the side effects and health benefits of lemon grass. You may have noticed that the side effects of lemon grass is not so serious and is almost safe. Also, keep in mind that if you are using lemon grass for a particular problem, consult your doctor once.
Freaktofit has strict sourcing guidelines and relies on peer-reviewed studies, educational research institutes, and medical organizations. We avoid using tertiary references. You can learn more about how we ensure our content is accurate and up-to-date by reading our editorial policy.
- LEMON GRASS : http://nhb.gov.in/Horticulture%20Crops/Lemongrass/Lemongrass1.htm
- Effect of Lemongrass Tea Consumption on Estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate and Creatinine Clearance Rate : https://www.researchgate.net/publication/269177924_Effect_of_Lemongrass_Tea_Consumption_on_Estimated_Glomerular_Filtration_Rate_and_Creatinine_Clearance_Rate
- Kidney stones : https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/kidney-stones
- Scientific basis for the therapeutic use of Cymbopogon citratus, stapf (Lemon grass) : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3217679/#ref61
- FoodData Central : https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/3580?fgcd=&man=&lfacet=&count=&max=&sort=&qlookup=&offset=&format=Full&ne
- Nutrition and the immune system: an introduction : https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9250133/#targetText=Of%20the%20micronutrients%2C%20zinc%3B%20selenium,and%20obesity%20also%20reduce%20immunity.
- High Cholesterol Facts : https://www.cdc.gov/cholesterol/facts.htm#targetText=High%20cholesterol%20has%20no%20symptoms,fifth%20leading%20cause%20of%20death.
- Cholesterol reduction and lack of genotoxic or toxic effects in mice after repeated 21-day oral intake of lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus) essential oil : https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21693164/
- INSIGHT TO LEMONGRASS ESSENTIAL OIL AS PHYTOMEDICINE: STATE OF THE ART AND FUTURE PERSPECTIVES : http://www.ajpcrjournal.com/article/INSIGHT%20TO%20LEMONGRASS_ESSENTIAL%20OIL%20AS%20PHYTOMEDICINE%20STATE%20OF%20THE%20ART%20AND%20FUTURE%20PERSPECTIVES.pdf
- Citral is a new inducer of caspase-3 in tumor cell lines : https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15931590/
- Investigation of the Mechanisms Underlying the Gastroprotective Effect of Cymbopogon Citratus Essential Oil : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3326778/
- Effect of Lemongrass Oil on Rheumatoid Arthritis : http://jpsr.pharmainfo.in/Documents/Volumes/vol9Issue02/jpsr09021734.pdf
- Detox diets for toxin elimination and weight management: a critical review of the evidence : https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25522674/
- Evaluation of anti-depressant effect of lemon grass ( Cymbopogon citratus ) in albino mice : https://www.researchgate.net/publication/271362306_Evaluation_of_anti-depressant_effect_of_lemon_grass_Cymbopogon_citratus_in_albino_mice
- Magnesium and stress : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK507250/
- Effect of Lemongrass Aroma on Experimental Anxiety in Humans : https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26366471/
- STUDY OF ANTIDIABETIC EFFECT OF LEMONGRASS (CYMBOPOGON CITRATUS) AQUEOUS ROOTS AND FLOWER EXTRACTS ON ALBINO MICE : http://ijpsr.com/bft-article/study-of-antidiabetic-effect-of-lemongrass-cymbopogon-citratus-aqueous-roots-and-flower-extracts-on-albino-mice/?view=fulltext
- The Role of Magnesium in Neurological Disorders :https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6024559/#targetText=From%20a%20neurological%20standpoint%2C%20magnesium,nerve%20transmission%20and%20neuromuscular%20conduction.&targetText=Due%20to%20these%20important%20functions,and%20treatment%20of%20neurolo
- The anti-allergic activity of Cymbopogon citratus is mediated via inhibition of nuclear factor kappa B (Nf-Κb) activation : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4458008/
- Oxidants and anti-oxidants status in acne vulgaris patients with varying severity : https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24795060/